Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

possible ford transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Question possible ford transmission problem

ok guys here is the story, i have a 98 ford expy with the 4r70w transmission. recently i lost 3rd n 4th gear completly so i decided to change transmissions i bought a garenteed good one from a local j.yard. in between taking out the old n putting in the new i had to move the expy, i turned the key over to use the stearing wheel, when i did the o/d light began flashing. so i get it moved and remove and install the transmissions reinstall everything and connect everything n so forth. now when i start the expy it idles perfectly, about 1,000rpms but when i push the gas it hesitates but will eventually idle up to about 4,000 rpms. when i put it in gear it bogs way down to like 4 or 500 rpms and barely moves as a result of the low rpms. i had a local friend/mechanic take a look an he said everything looked ok as far as the work i had done to it and the only problem he could find was that there wasnt any power coming from the pcm to the transmission, yet all the fuses n wires are ok.?? also if i put it in 4x4 low it will move fairly easy as if there isnt any problems. btw the O/D light is still flashing and throws the codes for literally everything in the transmission. any ideaas to check or so forth would be greatly appeciated. i have a theory that because i turned the key over to move it threw the codes because i had everything d/c from the old transmission, and now it wont send any power to the transmission till i have the computer flashed and that the transmission is stuck in a higher gear like 3 or 4th or the torque converter lockup is engaged because of the "no power to the transmission" ordeal?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:03 PM

and btw it has a new iac, maf, fuel pump n filter, new plugs n wires, air filter, tps, and egr valve

Old 09-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Did the trans come from exactly the same type, year etc vehicle?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM

i know that i got a 4r70w transmission but i believe it came out of a 150 but same yrs tho

Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Have you tried removing one of the battery cables for 5 min and then reconnecting it?
In the process of turning the ign on the ECM may have picked up a fault or faults and is responding to them.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM

i actually have done this many times even as long as a week, still nuthing i think that the computer has put the transmission into a "limp" mode and is stuck like that because of all the codes thats why i asked if any1 thinks i just need to have the computer flashed?? or sumthing els

Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 AM

Can you provide us with the codes in the order you received them?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM

no sorry i dont know them personally i only know that advanced read them and laughed saying it must be a connection problem because its saying everything is bad

Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM

Usually when you get a s--t load of codes there is a bad or open connection somewhere.
Did you make sure all the grounds are good and clean? Reconnect every ground wire/cable? Check all the plugs and the pins inside for being bent or corroded.
The fact that the OD lite is flashing tells us the problem is in/with the trans.
Take your time and go over every wire and connection to the trans.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM

me and 2 other people looked at it during seperate times everywire, pin connection all look good and are in no way broken or bad. at first i thought that myself like maybe i pinched a wire putting the transmission in but eveything as far as wire,fuse, and connection points are 100% absolutly fine?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: possible ford transmission problem