Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Shift Cable Replacement Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Default Shift Cable Replacement Issue

Hey all, first post, hope you guys can help, and hopefully I can explain this well. I was attempting to replace my shift cable for my 2006 Expedition 4WD underneath the truck because of course that plastic piece wore out causing the gears to not be able to catch when shifting. I PB Blasted the bolt the hooks the cable to the bracket and to the transmission, but right before the nut came all the way off, the bolt snapped. So here's my question, what am I going to need to do to get that bolt out and replaced...is it going to mean me dropping the whole transmission to get this one small bolt out or does anyone know an easier way to do this. Right now I'm only looking at $96 in parts and don't want to get obliterated for much more than that if I don't have to. Thanks a lot every and hope you guys can help me out.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Bolt/nut? If it's the mounting bolt that goes into the trans case, the trans wouldn't/shouldn't need to be removed to get the broken bolt out. Generally, if the bolt is rotated to the point of 'breaking the bolt off' an "Easy Out'' usually won't be of much help to get the snapped off bolt out. In that area, adding heat isn't a great idea or against the aluminum. That said, If a pilot hole is drilled through the broken bolt,, adding some 'pin point' torch heat into the hole, cooled, and a penatrant then used with an Easy Out tool may get it loose. May not. If the drill bit, or Easy Out breaks off in the hole, a game changer...

What needs to be done, and sometimes simpler, is a series of 'pilot' holes drilled 'dead center' in the broken bolt. Starting pretty small, and increasing in size, very careful not to break the drill bit off. Again, not good! Starting small makes for easier drilling and tends to be easier to get and stay centered as you drill. A center punch driven in the bolts center helps to start centerd if you can get access. You may need an angle drill depending on clearances. Key is 'centered to the bolt', and go in straight...

Step drill, meaning keep increasing drill bit sizes until the brunt of the bolt is gone and in affect, just the steel threads remain in the aluminum case. Sometimes the threads will start to come loose on their own once drilled, or during drilling. If so, using a sharp tool you may be able to get the top few bolt threads out. If so, then start the correct size/ thread tap and gently start it into the bolt hole, lubed. It should clean out and break loose remaining threads in the bore. If the threads and hole are damaged, then a simple Heli Coil thread insert will fix the attaching hole.

Angle drill, air or electric, (prefer air) left hand drill bits ( drill bits that cut in reverse sometimes will help on removal as it's drilled) and short/stubby drill bits help in tight quarters and on removal.