Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Smog Question, codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Default Smog Question, codes

Im pretty sure last year I got smogged, and didnt pass on first try because I had reset the computer a day before getting smogged. Nothing was wrong but I was adjusting the tuning and it always clears any codes while it changes.

I didnt know they looked into the computer and since most checks were not finished checking I had to wait until I did more driving which was very hard as I never drive it.

So now today I get the registration and have to get smogged again. Just got back yesterday from having new fuel pump put in. I checked with my scan tool. I have 2. One has always been sensitive and showed more codes then the other one which is also my programmer.

So the sensitive one says nothing wrong, shows the green light all checks have been made.
The programmer tool shows misfire cyl1. This has to come from iwhen the pump died I would start it for 10 sec with a dead fuel pump a few times I was trying to figure out what was wrong. It would barely run, I guess from whatever fuel was in there.

I have no check engine light on the dash, never had it. Didnt have one yesterday on the way home after getting new pump. Have not drove it since.
No one has reset the codes either. Was wondering if dealership did for the repair, I see they did not.

So my question is before I waste time at smog station, will they fail me because of that code, or since it doesnt flash the light in the dash its not a big deal. Yes the light comes on when first starting so I know it works.
Because I see I have less then a month now to get the smog, and as I never drive my truck as its too expensive to do so it may take time to reset all the engine checks.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM

got it smogged, passed
just brought it in as it was, I did not reset anything

Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 AM

For future reference...

When you clear the codes, it also clears the stats of the O2 sensors and such. At that time, they will show up as "NOT READY". It takes either 10 drive cycles with a drive cycle constisting of an engine start and a minimum trip of 10 miles. Or you can do 1 drive cycle of 100+ miles.

The smog testing doesn't normally care about codes stored in the computer, it's looking for ACTIVE codes. Depending on the code, it will auto clear when the problem is resolved either on it's own (Your basic Burp), or by repair. Other codes remain stored as a history for future trouble-shooting.

Unless you have an active CHECK ENGINE light, no need to clear.