Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

What needs to come off to change out coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Default What needs to come off to change out coil packs

I have an intermittent misfire on my '99 5.4L Expedition. I've taken it to the shop I use for most of my repairs and they changed out the spark plugs and the rubber boots but the problem persists. I researched on this site and others before taking it in and suggested the problem was likely one or more of the coil packs but they said they were fine. Well guess what? still have the problem of course and I've decided it's time I do more of the maintenance so I'm looking at changing the coil packs myself. I've done the search thing and found a number of "procedures" from different members but they don't seem to agree on what exactly needs to be moved out the way to access the more difficult coils to get at.

Is there someone out there that can tell me what must come off / out the way to get to all the coil packs, how to remove it properly/safely and how to reinstall correctly? I admit I don't have a service manual but from what I've read, they're not much use anyway.

I usually wrench on classic Japanese motorcycles and this will be the first adventure with the truck.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Default Changing COP's

Wallowgreen, I have a 2000 4X4 EB Expedition with the 5.4 and have just replaced all my COP's. It is a fairly easy job. On the left side, looking at the engine from the front, cylinders 1-4, I didnt need to remove anything thing. On the right side 5-8, I had to remove the fuel rail to get access because of switch/sensor in the fuel rail. No big deal, 2 bolts and lift it up off the injectors. You can rotate the injectors if the wires are in the way or just unplug them. Makes sure you use some "dielectric" grease on the boots of the new COP's. This site has been so helpful to me, I bought my brand new COP's on ebay for under $100 bucks with a lifetime warranty. Good luck