Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

1990 explorer vacuum problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Default 1990 explorer vacuum problem

Hey everyone, I have an old Eddie Baur. I got it for free as it had a couple of cracked heads. I replaced the top end with the help of my brother as I am no mechanic. Anyway every once in a while when I start the engine one of the vacuum hoses will pop off and the motor makes a noise I can hear telling me to pop the hood and put the hose back on. No biggie I can see the clean fitting where the hose popped off and I just stick it back on...problem solved.

A couple weeks ago it happened but there was a puff of smoke too and when I popped the hood I found several of the hoses all popped off. I stuck them back on but now I see one clean fitting but can't find a hose to stick there. I never noticed one fitting without a hose before. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? The car still runs this way but poorly and the idle speed cavitates. I have posted a couple of photos. You will notice the large hose is removed as it was obscuring the photo. The other fitting (the one I can't find a hose for) is in the rear towards the firewall.

Here is a link to a couple photos.

http://gallery.me.com/mr.briggi#100117

Thanks for any help or advise.