Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Cryptic Radio Display Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Default Cryptic Radio Display Message

I have a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition with the 6-Disc audio system. Just this morning I noticed a message flashing across the bottom part of the radio display that I have never seen before. It only flashes across when the radio is on and it reads:

"THIS IS DYNAMIC SERVICE PROGRAM NAME"

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, what does it mean and how do I get rid of it?

Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Cryptic Radio Display Message

This may be a shot in the dark but attempt to enter audio system self diagnostics mode. First have key in ON position, and radio in AM/FM mode, then push preset buttons #3 and 6 together, this will enter speaker walk-around test, then push button #1 during the test to enter daignostic mode, may or may not work, but worth a shot. Most of the audio units lately are networked into the vehicle, so to pull codes out of them you need to use a dealer or expensive aftermarket tool to pull codes.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying. I guess I didn't check the "Notify me..." box so I just saw this answer today. I will give that a try this weekend when I can wrestle the truck away from my wife. The funny thing is, the following day when I started the vehicle and turned on the radio, the message was no longer flashing.

However, I am intigued by your advice so I will give it a try just to see if there are any codes showing up. I will report back with the results. Thanks again.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 AM

Diagnostic Update:

Well, I tried Bret's suggestion in trying to run the diagnostics on my radio. I was unaware of even the speaker test, which is kind of neat in itself. During the speaker test I pushed the #1 button, which suspends the speaker test, and the display started to flash "SELF TEST". This flashed on and off for about 7 or 8 times and then a new message appeared. It read "SELF FAIL". This new message then flashed endlessly and the only way to get rid of it was to turn the radio off and on again.

So, I am not sure if that means the self test failed or the self test found that something in the audio system failed. Either way, the radio seems to be working fine and I haven't seen the original message since that first time. I just think it would be nice if Ford would provide some way for the consumer/owner to understand what these "systems" are meant to do.

With today's technology, there is no reasonwhy all system diagnostics can't be displayed with a full explanation as to what they mean and what course of action is recommended, without having to have your vehicle connected to a "diagnostic machine" at the dealership.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 AM

it wants your credit card info