Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

1998 Explorer will not start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Default 1998 Explorer will not start when hot

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4WD Eddie Bauer. 123K on it. The car starts fine and runs well, but when it gets hot (running temperature), and when the car gets turned off, it will not start again. It trys to start, sputters, and then dies. I have to wait 30-45 minutes before it cools down, and then it will start up again as if there was no problem. I'm now opening the hood to cool it down quicker. No warning lights, or error messages show during this issue. I have already replaced the PCM and Fuel Pump relay in the main distribution box. The problem still exists.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM

Does the truck only not start when you have left it for a few minutes after driving it and then come back to it? I am having a similar issue with my 98 Explorer and it will only start after I wait a while. My Uncle who is a mechanic says the computer is reading the keys funny and my truck thinks I am stealing it. So to protect it the truck will shut off the fuel pump so you can't pump gas to it and it will run on fumes and then die. He says to manually unlock the door with the key (unfotunately I can't do this, as apparently my keys have never worked) It should reset the computer and it should start. Please let me know if this is your issue and if using the key works! I don't want to pay to get a lock or key fixed if its not the issue. I hope you can get this issue worked out, I understand how frusterating it is not knowing if your truck will start!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 PM

I have 1998 ford explorer, and I have same problem when engine is hot, it won't start. I have to wait about 15-20 minutes then it start fine. Any idea? Did you fix the problems?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Does the engine run OK as long as you are driving it?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Does the engine run OK as long as you are driving it?

The engine runs fine as long as I drive, and it starts good always first time. After I drove and stop the engine (for example at gas station), when I try to re-start, it cranks starter but it does not start the engine . I have to wait about 15-20 minutes, then it does start fine.
The CAR runs good no problems otherwise. I replaced fuel pump relay but same peoblem. I am thinking to replace water temperature sensor, but will it be the problem? I don't know.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Default fuel pressure regulator

The same thing happened to my wife's 97 4.0 SOHC XLT 4WD, after a short stop it started but would not stay running, after a 30 minute cool down it was fine and has not had a problem in a month since. One thing that we did find that is probably atleast a contributing factor is that the fuel pressure regulator is bad, according to my book if you put a gauge on your fuel rail port you should see atleast 30 psi at idle, my wife's car is currently running at 22 psi, when I pull the vacuum line off of the regulator it jumps up about 10 psi, from what I understand any jump in pressure means the regulator is bad. If you have an engine light for an O2 sensor this can also be an indicator, as the regulator is sending gas down the vacuum line. The problem is no one has them anymore, I have tried the dealer and about a dozen different parts stores and no one can get one. They all have the regulator for the 4.0 OHV, but it is completely different. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know. I did replace the fuel filter which had some gunk, but not enough to affect the pressure.

Thanks,
Randy

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Default cut you fix your explorer?

Originally Posted by gbaade
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4WD Eddie Bauer. 123K on it. The car starts fine and runs well, but when it gets hot (running temperature), and when the car gets turned off, it will not start again. It trys to start, sputters, and then dies. I have to wait 30-45 minutes before it cools down, and then it will start up again as if there was no problem. I'm now opening the hood to cool it down quicker. No warning lights, or error messages show during this issue. I have already replaced the PCM and Fuel Pump relay in the main distribution box. The problem still exists.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
i am having the same problem i dont know what to do, please let me know what happen with your explorer, cut you fixed? my email francisco.ramirez30@yahoo.com I`LL appreciate.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM

I am having the same problem. 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 L SOHC. I replaced all of the spark plugs, the air cleaner and the fuel rail squirts fuel when depressed. I am thinking it may be linked to the cam shaft position sensor but not sure.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Depending on how mechanically inclined any of you are, you might try to isolate the problem to either a fuel or spark problem.
You can do this by trying to spray a little carb/choke cleaner into the intake at the air cleaner and see if the engine will run even if only a little. If it does, that would indicate a possible fuel system problem. If not, then it would be an ignition/ spark problem.
Once that can be determined, then you can start narrowing down the items in the non functioning system.
Or,,,,,,,,have coffee breaks while waiting for the engine to cool down.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM

I have had problems with my 98 explorer. When the engine is hot it won't start. It has been fine since i replaced the battery and cables last year. I could always jump it though. Yesterday I ran into the store for a minute and it did the same thing. It won't even turn over and a jump did nothing for it. My dad thought the battery needed to be grounded. I try to start it again last night after the weather broke and it was totally dead. Please help!!