Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2002 Explorer Check trans / P0741 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Default 2002 Explorer Check trans / P0741 code

I have a 2002 ford explorer with 50K miles.... I was driving the other day and the check trans light came on and the OD light began to blink. I did several things like check fluid, fuses etc and found nothing. Other than the light the car is shifting fine.

I took the car to a dealer. The dealer said it has a P0741 code and your Explorer needs a new Torque converter. $1100. Since it was showing no visible signs I took it for a second opinion at a trans shop I trust. He started troueshooting -- replace the selenoid pack -- no fix droped the vale body -- and inspected -- nothing is hanging up -- changed the torque converted -- didn't fix. I still have the code and the trans is still shifting OK.

What next??? I am very frustrated and about out of cash!!!!! Help.....[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Default RE: 2002 Explorer Check trans / P0741 code

GET IT BACK TO THE DEALER!!!!

I just had the same symptoms over the weekend and had a planetary gear failure that destroyed my trans!!! The truck is my wife's and she doesn't drive much (33K), but we ran out of warranty time in late February. Calling Ford looking for some help covering this as a trans should NEVER fail at 33K. Sounds like more of us might be experiencing this.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:23 PM

Check out this other link more info on the Explorer issue

http://www.offroadexchange.com/modfo...=2488;start=75

ORIGINAL: Jeff

I have a 2002 ford explorer with 50K miles.... I was driving the other day and the check trans light came on and the OD light began to blink. I did several things like check fluid, fuses etc and found nothing. Other than the light the car is shifting fine.

I took the car to a dealer. The dealer said it has a P0741 code and your Explorer needs a new Torque converter. $1100. Since it was showing no visible signs I took it for a second opinion at a trans shop I trust. He started troueshooting -- replace the selenoid pack -- no fix droped the vale body -- and inspected -- nothing is hanging up -- changed the torque converted -- didn't fix. I still have the code and the trans is still shifting OK.

What next??? I am very frustrated and about out of cash!!!!! Help.....[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Same with me - got code changed torque converter. Now no flashing light but truck does not want to go into gear (automatic) or "falls" into neutral after a few hundred yards of driving. You rev it and it "bangs" into gear and then is fine for the rest of the day. Worse when cold. Truck is currently at the dealship. They want to rebuld the whole thing for about $900 after they charged me $800 for the TC. I'll see what they say.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM

So Ford says that they really don't know why the truck gives the code and falls into neutral. Their solution - rebuild the whole transmission. That's kind of like building a new house when the back door sticks. I find it frustrating that with all the vehicles they look at they have "never seen a problem like mine" and have no good idea why it does what it does. They just want me to leave my credit card open for them and they will start replacing everything until they fix the problem by luck. The only thought they had was that maybe their was an air leak and the fluid had to expand enough to cover it. They added more fluid so we'll see if that helps but I doubt it. A buddy of mine has the same truck and he got a used tranny from SGI (Provincial Governement Insurance in Saskatchewan) for about $750 out of a vehicle that only had 70,000 miles on it. If this tranny dies, that will be my fix.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM

Code P0741 TCC Per/Stuck Off
this code is set in the computer by the tss in side the transmission not seeing a change when lock is commanded and using the rpm sensor on the engine. if the two dont match the computer will set this code. this could be because the converter, seal on end of stator shaft on pump, inner seal damaged on pump gear,tcc solenoid, tcc valve,wiring to the processor fo the lockup, wires for the rpm sensor. well hope this helps explain how the code is set.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM

My 02 Explorer stopped shifting between 2nd and 3rd unless we were moving at the slow end of the range. Took it into a shop I trust and was told Explorers were having problems with transmissions (9 yrs old with 108k miles); the mech even told me the shop manager was having similar problems with his Explorer. The fix was to replace the transmission. $3300 later, I have a Jasper transmission in there. My fault for not having the 60k mile trans service...