Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2014 Explorer Backup Cam issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Default 2014 Explorer Backup Cam issues

Hello all,

We purchased our 2014 Explorer about a year ago, and have been very happy with it for the most part... But now there's an issue that's got me a little stumped. My apologies if old threads have already answered my questions, but I haven't run into one that has my exact scenario. I'll try to lay out exactly what happened and the troubleshooting steps I've already tried, and hopefully you all may have some further insight.

So on our recent vacation, the backup camera stopped functioning correctly. I started the vehicle at a rest stop, put it in reverse like normal... and got the image you hopefully see attached.

I've read other threads where the camera just doesn't come on at all, or it stays on the home screen, but that's not the case for me. It goes to the camera image and the backup sensors continue to work properly. It's just that the image is... well, useless. To my untrained eye, it seems as if the camera is powering on properly, but not functioning correctly.

So, per some other forum posts I've run across for similar-ish problems, I pulled the camera fuse. I then verified that I had pulled the right one by starting the vehicle and putting it in reverse. Nothing, it stayed on the home screen. So now, with the fuse out, it seems that my camera wasn't powering on. Fuse looked fine, so I popped it back in... and same issue.

So I escalated to defcon 2, and pulled the neg battery terminal (and left it disconnected for a few minutes). Put it back on, and (you guessed it) same issue.

So... Here I am. The vehicle only has 50k miles on it, but is out of warranty. No extended warranty, shoulda known better.

My initial assumption is that the camera itself has gone bad, or possibly the wiring between it and the touch screen unit. I hope it's not the latter, because I am not patient or skilled enough to troubleshoot that.

Anyone have input on a solution I might have missed? Does it sound like a bad camera like I'm thinking, or is there something else that could be wrong? If it is a camera, is there a good solution some of you have tried that won't break the bank? Any useful input would be very much appreciated.