Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Default 2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage

a/c compressor replaced and charged, will not come on unless jumped with a wire from fuse box, no noticable wiring problems. I have jumpered low psi switch, checked high psi switch-check engine light came on when jumpered and had to unplug battery to get light out, fuse in battery junction box is okay and has power, fuse in central junction box okay and has power, switched ac clutch relay with another one in box with same number, clutch relay terminal has power. All the controls in panel of heat and ac system work, motor even changes idle when selector changed form vent to a/c. Fan and heat work fine. Just not getting power to a/c unit. Wife took it to a mechanic last year and he ran wire from compressor to fuse box to make it work, this is why i had to replace compressor i think. I didnt know the wire was there until i replaced compressor last week, as long as the compressor is jumpered like this it runs fine. The problem is the compressor is always on. I noticed when selector switch for ac in the dash is off the lines and accumulator freeze up. It cant cycle with straight power to ac compressor all the time, I dont know if the pcm is not working correctly or what, any help would be appreciated

Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 AM

It could be low on refrigerant, you need to have pressure readings.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Since you stated you checked many things , lets assume you have access to a test lite or voltmeter. Do you have power to the low pressure switch with the controls calling for A/C? Let us know and we can go from there OK. ,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by stuart40ca
It could be low on refrigerant, you need to have pressure readings.
. I just had it charged when i put new compressor on and the pressures were taken and okay

Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Default low psi

Originally Posted by hanky
Since you stated you checked many things , lets assume you have access to a test lite or voltmeter. Do you have power to the low pressure switch with the controls calling for A/C? Let us know and we can go from there OK. ,,,,,,,,hanky
yes i have power to low psi switch

Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 AM

OK , now do you have power coming out of the low press switch? If no, either switch is defective or system is low on refrigerant. If yes, what color is the wire coming from the switch on the way to the mag clutch? I need a chance to check my info to make sure there are no other devices in the path from the lo press switch to the mag clutch. I know you stated you jumped the switch, but We-I needed a reference point to start where you had voltage available and where you are losing it.
I will get back to you ASAP. ,,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 PM

From what I can trace, there is a part called the "Constant Control Relay Module" that completes the path from the low press switch to the high pressure switch then to the constant control relay module. If you can check the color of the wire coming from the lo press sw to the hi press sw and make sure you have voltage coming in and going out of the hi press switch then the only thing left is the module. It should be located on the drivers side under the hood if I remember correctly. I will try to see if I can be more help once I check and make sure.,,,,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by iwhntrf150
. I just had it charged when i put new compressor on and the pressures were taken and okay
If so did the compressor start when refrigerant was entered or was the system bypassed?

If it was bypassed how did whomever know if it was working correctly?

Or was it charged with a can of WallyWorld crap and no pressures taken?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Still checking , I am not positive there is a CCRM on your Explorer. Will get back to you as soon as I can verify that . Until then , maybe someone who knows for sure , can confirm the path from the hi press sw to the compressor clutch. Thanks for your patience. hanky

Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Here are some wiring diagrams from the ford place, it may help you, i dont know that much about reading them

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage-1.jpg   2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage-new-image.jpg  

Last edited by iwhntrf150; 08-24-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ford Explorer A/C clutch will not engage