Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2004 ford explorer fuel pump reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Default 2004 ford explorer fuel pump reset?

I recently bumped a gaurd rail in the rear right side of my explorer.I think it tripped the fuel pump reset because it wont start.i read in the manual how to reset it and tried to no avail to reset it...my car wont turn over..how do i tell if the reset button on the passengers side is working.right now it is up and when i push it down to reset it just comes back up...the manual gives u a very vague instruction on how to reset it..its not working.please help

Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2004 ford explorer fuel pump reset?

By 'won't turn over' you mean it will crank, only not start.. Correct? The inertia switch should just push/lock down if it tripped.. If it won't stay down, unplug the connector and jump the 2 wires on the connector to complete the circuit and it should start...

Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 AM

You may want to check that the fuel line didn't bend. It could be tripping because the pump is overloading trying to pump through a bent line.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:06 AM

my truck barely hit(right back bumper) so i dont think anything is bent.I will try the first answer about the connector tomorrow...by "connector" and "jump" could u be a bit more specific?do you mean the wires connecting the reset?I just dont want to F my suv up

Old 03-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Sent you a PM

Old 03-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Thinking and knowing are two dirrerent things. I'd check before I'd bypass (or cut out) the switch. Besides - if it werea bad switch you could just replace it. On a fuel injected vehicle they're there for a reason. The fuel is under high pressure and in an accident that switch shuts it down to cut the risk of fire. It is up to the individual though - they are kind of a pain in the aspect of shutting down the engine - if it weren't there for safety I'd have already knocked mine out. If it is a kinked/fractured line and sprays fuel on the exhaust when you start the pump (turn the key on)- at least I tried. I'd say it's more than worth looking though - but that's just my "not so lazy" opinion.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

To check for a 'tripped' inertia switch (or one that won't reset) is just a simple12V test light check or volt meterreading for 12V power at each wire on the inertia connector.. At NO TIME would I suggest bypassing a safety device for 'any' extended or permanenet use.. But if stranded, or as a TEST ONLY situation,and if no 12V test light or meter is available, than jumping the connector will prove out the switch fora possible open circuit condition.. OBVIOUSLY if on a reset,, (since the inertia 'should' have trippedBEFORE any substantial leakhad occured) if a leak was detected either by 'smell' or a 'visable' leak the vehicle shouldn't be driven at all, and in actuality maynot be able to be driven at all if the leak or fuel pressure was restricted enough to prevent the spec pressure.. But very few cases when the inertia is trippeda fuel leak occurs, unless a fairly major impact..But to error to the side of caution is a good practice.. Even with a kinked, bent or broken/leakingfuel line, if the inertia is reset after an impact it WILL run the pump, and would need to be done to inspect for a leak, (if any) and/or no visable damage is spotted.. Plus,, if a damaged line ect. didn't show up right away, it would still be that common sense should prevail here.. Or if in doubt or safety concerned, have it inspected..

This was a TEST only suggestion, had nothing to do with being lazy...................