Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2013 Steering locked up while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Default 2013 Steering locked up while driving

While driving my 2013 Explorer Sport the steering got stiff and wouldn't turn back to straight while pulling out of a side road. After pulling out and muscling it back it went back to normal. Then about 10 minutes later in a parking lot it locked up solid and I couldn't turn the steering wheel at all. Luckily I didn't crash the car. After turning the car off and back on again the steering unlocked.

I brought the car to the Ford dealership in Brewster, ny and after they had it for several days they said they could not reproduce the problem so they didn't have a code to put on the paperwork to get the steering rack replaced. I asked if there was a code in the computer from when it happened to me and they said no. I then said, well what makes you think it would trigger a code when it happens again? Apparently the rack is a whole unit with electronics on it and has to be replaced as a unit.

I told them there is no way I'm letting my wife and kids drive in this car when the steering could lock up at random I've read lots of other forums where people are having the same problem.

I told them to keep the car and I want out of my lease.

To add to it when I was picking up my loaner car I saw my Explorer in the lot which now had a big 3"x16" dent going down the length of the rear passenger door. UHG!

I contacted the dealership again (because they never call me when they say they are going to) and they now say they are replacing some parts.

My question is are the parts they are putting in the same as the ones that are failing? I think they are.

Looks like they are waiting for someone to die and sue them before they do a recall. Just like GM!

Last edited by blacktop; 03-29-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Don't know the answer to your vehicle's steering problem , but it does have electric power steering assist. There appears to be some problem with the steering rack assy and from what I was able to learn rack replacement seems to be the answer. It might be a good idea to check in with them DAILY , so they don't kinda forget about you since you have a loaner. Would appreciate if you would share with us when you get your vehicle back as to just what they did to remedy the condition.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM

The big question is: Did they fix the promblem they are obviously having with there steering racks? Or are they just going to simply install a new one and hope it doesn't happen again? They have had this steering rack problem back to at least 2011. I have read nothing from Ford stating they acknowledge the problem and have fixed or at least are working on it.

I will definitely keep you posted.

Also I would like to say the people that work at Brewster Ford are very nice people and this is really not about them.

Last edited by blacktop; 03-29-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM

well ford said I would get my car back on friday but friday has come and gone. haven't gotten any call from them either.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Well I finally got my car back. Apparently they had one of the two phone numbers I gave them wrong so thats why I never got any phone calls.

My Ford receipt says

Cause: Internal steering gear failure

Removed the steering gear and rotated shaft to inspect for binding. Felt binding internal to gear. Installed steering gear and an alignment...road tested steering felt smooth.

Job total was $1515 covered under warranty.

I just hope the steering gear is the whole rack including the electronics. Also still don't know if its a revised part or still the same parts that are failing. I'm so glad I didn't take the car back when they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I heard GM is recalling 1.5 million cars for electronic assist steering that is failing.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by blacktop
Well I finally got my car back. Apparently they had one of the two phone numbers I gave them wrong so thats why I never got any phone calls.

My Ford receipt says

Cause: Internal steering gear failure

Removed the steering gear and rotated shaft to inspect for binding. Felt binding internal to gear. Installed steering gear and an alignment...road tested steering felt smooth.

Job total was $1515 covered under warranty.

I just hope the steering gear is the whole rack including the electronics. Also still don't know if its a revised part or still the same parts that are failing. I'm so glad I didn't take the car back when they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I heard GM is recalling 1.5 million cars for electronic assist steering that is failing.
yes that rack comes as an assembly rack, module, motor and steering angle sensor all new not serviceable.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Default still have problems

it's been a while since I had the steering fixed and lately I have noticed a clunking coming from the front end. I jacked the car up and grab the tire on the left and right and shook it back and forth and noticed a quarter inch of play in the front right wheel. Apparently something is still wrong with the steering and I have to take it back again

Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 AM

Hey blacktop! see if there is a loose connection in the column anywhere.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by John Renold
Hey blacktop! see if there is a loose connection in the column anywhere.

Took it in to ford and found out one of the front control arm bushings was bad.. was covered under warranty.