Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2016 Ford Explorer Sport Review/Questions/Issues

Old 02-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Default 2016 Ford Explorer Sport Review/Questions/Issues

Hi Everyone,

We just leased a Ford Explorer Sport for my wife last week, and I had a few questions and concerns that I wanted to share. We were between the Durango RT and Explorer Sport, but my wife preferred the Sport because it still has a shifter, looks meaner, and doesn't have what she calls 80s looking sunglasses in the rear. Honestly, I thought the Durango would be a better fit because it feels less bulky, and you see a lot less of them on the road, but I too was not too thrilled about not having a shifter. Coming from car enthusiasts, that primarily drive VWs and Audis, the shifter is pretty important.

Now to the SUV. It looks amazing. The front end is super aggressive, especially the black on black that we chose, and it gas a really nice interior, even though I would gave liked a firmer, more sporty looking wheel. It's also extremely fast, and handles surprisingly well. On the negative side, it doesn't have a foot rest, the brake position is a little awkward, and I feel like the rear seat cushions are too short and straight.
Now to elaborate on these issues, I'm 6'2", and wear a size 13 shoe. One of the most important things for me, and I think for every driver is leg room and driver comfort. I'm used to having cars with a good sized foot rest for my left foot, and some additional space if you want to extend your leg further. The FESport doesn't have neither. It has a bulge coming in from the wheel that takes up the space where the foot rest would be. Then if you try to extend your leg out, there is no where to put it, and you get really close to the brake pedal. If I was driving this car every day, I wouldn't go with it just for this issue. My wife is 5'3" and therefore has no issues with this.
Another issue I have, and this is also a question I would like answered, to see if anyone has similar issues, is that the 2nd row seats vibrate on any slight bump or slightly rough road. I know the a Sport has a more sporty suspension, but so did the Durango RT, and this vibration was non existent. I currently drive a GTi, so I'm used to stiffer suspensions, but this vibration seems weird. I would appreciate any feedback on this, to see if it's common because even with the sport suspension, the ride shouldn't be that rough.

Overall my wife loves the FESport, and her only issue is that it doesn't have defrosting side mirrors, which is something that surprised me as well. Especially for a $50k car.

Last edited by FESport7; 02-07-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Same problem here with my wife's KIA and my dimensions. She loves it thou, well built, and if she's happy, the world is good..

Try moving the seat forward a little, rattle continue? Also make sure the shoulder belts aren't bump the panels..

Old 02-09-2016, 07:19 PM

Thank you.

I'm just shocked that a big vehicle like the Explorer wouldn't have good leg room. I have more driver leg room in my GTi. It wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have that bulge that just eliminates the foot rest. As for the rear seats, if I have the back rest completely straight, it's less annoying, but when reclined you feel a good amount of vibration. Front seats are fine. It may be because the rear wheels are located just behind the seat, in addition to having the sport suspension. Would think that it would be a bit more smoother though.

The car is a beast though, and it's one if the best looking SUVs on the road. Was just hoping for more comfort of an SUV this size.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I have not heard of this complaint from my service department. This is a shot in the dark but you could check to see if everything is tightened on that back seat... Rattles are one of the hardest things to pinpoint but it would be worth a shot to take it into the dealer since it is under warranty... With that said welcome to the Ford family, I am glad you all chose the Explorer over the Durango.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks Kyle. Im actually brining it into the shop on Friday for them to have a look at that, and the rear passenger door that seems to not unlock all the time when using the key fob or even with the driver's controls.

The rear seat is more of a vibration you feel in your mid-back. As if you are getting a massage lol, but doesn't feel as good as that. And while I never sit in the back, I have been as of late because we have an infant. So one of us will be in the rear for a while. Thanks again, and I hope it can be resolved.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I really hope they can figure it out for you.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 PM

Any body know if the console lights show u what gear your in.D...or. S.