Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

4x4 auto question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Default 4x4 auto question

Hi everyone, new here and have a question for you all...

2006 Explorer XLT..53,000 miles, just got it today.

The 4x4 Auto button puzzles me, how do I know if it is on or off? there is an idiot light for 4x4 High, and 4x4 Low but not auto..the only thing it seems to do is turn off the 4x4 high when in use...how do I know when the auto button is on or off? I did a search already and found out it only engages when a wheel slips but is there some indication that tells u when it is engaged and working? by the way I did try to disengage the 4x4 high when it was on by pushing the same button I used to turn it on to turn it off and nothing happens..only way to disengage the 4x4 high is by hitting the 4x4 auto button.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Default OK...here's the skinny

I broke down and went out to Ford tody and asked the same questions as I posted above...

This should be the official answer for all those wondering about the 4x4 auto button...Ford Master Tech says "the explorer u have is basically a PART TIME ALL WHEEL DRIVE with 4x4 High and 4x4 Low capability" so not really understanding still what he ment by PART TIME ALL WHEEL DRIVE I made him explain further..

"the explorer runs as a two wheel drive until sensors sense wheel slippage and then the 4x4 Auto kicks in and acts like AWD. If at this point you still are slipping and/or still stuck then u have the option of pressing the 4x4 High button or even the 4x4 Low."

so there is the definitive answer about the 4x4 Auto button...oh yeah, one last thing...the 4x4 Auto button is used to turn off the 4x4 High/Low buttons and reset the vehicle back into 4x4 Auto which the vehicle is in every time the ignition is turned on.

Hope this helps...