Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

94 explorer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
mrp
Default 94 explorer won't start

Turns over but won't start. It's my son's car & last week after he got off work it wouldn't start, so not wanting to mess with it in the parking lot at 10p.m. I left it for the next morning. Next morning fired right up and ran fine untill yesterday,then same thing except it wont fire up this time. Reset buttons o.k. & I swapped the relay with another, still no luck. Filter, pump, elec. module? & how can check the part to see if it's faulty before replacing it? This is my first time at this site & my 1st post, so if that info. is out ther somewhere maybe I could be steered in the right direction. Thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM
mrp
Default RE: 94 explorer won't start

My mistake, it's a 96 not a 94, don't know if that makes any differance.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Usually you can take a a part to an Autozone and they will test for free. I would take in the battery first, easy to come out and take it to them. They can test it. They should also be able to test the starter and alternator as well.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 AM
mrp

What's the deal with you FORD guys, I'm a DODGE man all the way, who made a mistake and bought his son a FORD, now it's FOUND ON THE ROAD DEAD and nobody has any helpfull advice. I mean DODGE guys are always trying to help the other guy out. How about some helpfull adviceso I get this thing running long enought to sell it, so I can replace it with a DODGE.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty harsh......

What engine?, miles on the clock?.. CEL on? Does it have any spark,checked? Hear fuel pump run/any pressure? What 'relay/s' did you swap?

Being Dodge help is so plentiful, my guess is theybreak as well........

Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 AM
mrp

They do, it's just a preferance, didn't mean to be too harsh I'm just frustrated with it. I don't hear the pump running and have no gauge for checking pressure. I just hate the thought of spending a Saturday putting in a new pump to find out it was a loose wire, a relay or something else simple.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

10-4.. Lets see if we can help..

First off, what engine and mileage?.

Do you have a 12V test light or meter?

If so, do you have any voltage running 'through' the inertia switch? That would be the first place I'd check if your fairly certain the pump isn't running.. Not that the inertia would be bad or tripped, but to prove out the system for power distribution ect. on down as far as the inertia.. Helps to listen under the vehicle, or through an open fill neck for a pump run..

If you can help with some basic 'step' checks, we might be able to help point to a solution...

Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
mrp

I appreicate the help!!! It has 130xxx miles and a 5.0L.It's an EDDIE BAUER if that makes a differance and yes I do have a test light & can get a meter if needed. The relay I switched was in the fuse box under the hood.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

As a starting point,, since the fuel pump is suspectfor notrunning,, use your test light and see if you have 12V in 'and' coming out of the inertia switch..

Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
mrp

There are 3 wires going to the switch, green,pink &gray how many of the 3 should light up & can I check for spark without removing a plug boot cause they look pretty hard to get at?

Quick Reply: 94 explorer won't start