Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

94 Explorer XLT How do I get it into 4 Wheel Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Default 94 Explorer XLT How do I get it into 4 Wheel Drive?

Just bought a 94 Explorer XLT. How do I get it into 4 wheel drive? It has a high range and low range button on dash board. I push them and nothing happens. This is the first 4X4 we ever had. I have no idea what to do. SHould I put it in park then push buttons? Do I have to be moving? No idea. Please help. Bought it for my daughter to drive in winter to get to college and really want the 4X4. Dealer had no idea. Bought it on a used car lot. Sweet truck. Just don't know how to use. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Default RE: 94 Explorer XLT How do I get it into 4 Wheel Drive?

To engage 4x4 you can do it according to the owners manual. Pushing the button should engage the front in high, or low button for low. Mine didnt work because it came w/ 2 broke auto hubs in the front. If you hit the button for high do you hear anything under the vehicle engage or just nothing? If it engages but the front wheels dont turn, i'd suspect the hubs. ( auto's are expensive so i went with the manual versio) If you hear nothing, there is a thread posted as of late about this from Hayapower I think. Theres a switch that engages the transfer case, but not sure about it. He'd know what your asking.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 PM

You could put it in neutral to engage. You may have to hold the button for a moment. My 91 takes a few seconds to engage. with the manual hubs I heard you are supposed to dissengage the four wheel in neuteral and then back up to ensure that the hubs are dissengaged. My 91 goes into gear on the move though.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 AM

No luck, Tried to use the reset button. The button apprears to be in the out position. It won't go in or come out. SO I assume it is not that. Could be wrong. I am going ot check all the fuses and the like tomorrow. We have been in the middle of 4 days of downpours and don't have a garage! So, I will check fuses tomorrow. Is there a trick to the reset button maybe that I am missing? I saw on the thread that it is supposed to either stay on or flash if it is the circuit board or the transfer case. I see there is a ight on the bottom of the board that holds the switch though it is off, not lit up. I am handicapped, due to a broken spine and several spinal surgeries so I can't really get under the truck and tear the motor apart. I would have back before the accident but not now! Thanks for all your help and quick responses! I was really worried about it but after reading all the posts and the thread I was assured it is a common problem and too much of a bear to fix! She has a warranty on the truck too so I may just say screw it and take it to a shop and get it fixed! Sorry guys! SO, if you think I am missing someting feel free to respond or if you have some pointers on the reset button or any other "quick" fix ideas or diagnostics feel free to shoot them my way. Thanks again

Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 AM

Sorry I just saw several typos in my reply. There is alight on the reset switch that is not on. I tried to push the button nothing, I tried to pull it nothing. AM I missing something? I meant to say that it seems that it is NOT a bear to fix! The thread really broke it down great! Even a novice like me could tackle it if I could walk! Thanks again!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM

We bought our 1994 Eddie Bauer Explorer new... so we have lots of history. Our 4 wheel drive worked great until a mechanic said we needed to have the front wheels repacked. Apparently, overpacking the wheel hubs restricts the movement of some type of engagement gear. I put our vehicle up on jackstands with all four wheels in the air, engaged the 4 wheel drive and could see the front drive shaft turning as it should trying to turn the front wheels. So the problem is inside the transfer case and as I was told, most likely the engagement mechanism within the wheel & axel housing. Hope this helps. I have not had mine fixed yet but was told that Ford trained tech are best qualified to work onFord 4 wheel drive systems. The repacking I had done was at a brake shop and apparently they were not skilled in 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM

May also try tapping on the shift motor on the transfer case while someone pushes the button up top. Have seen shift motors go bad in these before.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 AM

agree w/ brett i heard put in nuetral, hold brakes down then hit high then i hit low, then after disengage i drive in reverse.