Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

96 Explorer A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Default 96 Explorer A/C issue

First, the back story... A/C compressor locked up a few weeks ago. I have now replaced the compressor, drier, orifice tube, orings throughout, and condenser (figured I should go ahead and replace since I saw shavings on the old orifice tube).
So today I decide to vacuum the system and recharge. At first I was not able to get a vacuum seal that would stay so I went back through and made sure all the connections were connected and made sure the gauge hoses were connect snug. I was then able to get a good vacuum after running the pump for approx 30 mins. I was then able to keep the vacuum for approx 20 mins without losing any pressure (got down to -28 and stayed there). So now time to recharge. I put in a small can of Pag oil charge then 1 can of r134 (compressor is cycling and doing well). I then begin my second can of r134 but about half way through I noticed dripping where the drier and evaporator meet (along the backside of the nut). So I take back the nut and notice there was no orings. So I put one on and try to vacuum back down. All the sudden I can't keep a vacuum on the system. I tried several orings and no change. As soon as I turn off the pump, pressure returns to zero.
What do I need to do at this point? I thought about trying a seal leak but if I do that do I need to vacuum again? Pretty much lost at this point. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mcreasey; 09-02-2015 at 07:47 PM.