Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

97 Explorer Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Default 97 Explorer Oxygen Sensor

I have a 1997 ford explorer that needs the Oxygen sensors replaced. How many are there are there 1 or two up stream and how many are down stream? I was thinking there were two up stream but was not sure. Are they easy to find and replace? I have done lots of work on my dodge but this is a first on the ford. I will also be changing the spark plugs and wires any tips or tricks to this?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Explorer Oxygen Sensor

Welcome to the site..

What are the codes that were generated? 'Many' good 02 sensors have been replaced if misdiagnosed from vacuum leaks ect..

Old 06-03-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't have the codes. This is what the shop said it needs and I don't have the cash to pay them 600 bucks to swap plugs and wires and change out some sensors. I can pick up all good quality parts for about 225

Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Understandable..

What engine, and whats the mileage? 4.0?

But without the code/s, you have the possiblity of 4 (2 up/2 down) 02 sensor/monitors (3 on the pushrod motor) to try and pinpoint, if it's even just a bad sensor unit.. If you suspect just a bad sensor, sometimes you can move sensor from bank 1 to 2 and see if the trouble code follows the move before spending any money.. The 4.0 has a history of intake issues for vacuum leaks, or even a contaminate mass air flow sensor wire can set 02 codes for lean ect.. How does it run other than just a 'check engine' light? Or isthere other driving/performasnce concerns, missfire, idle concerns, excesive emmisions?.. If you don't have the codes, you can have some of the aftermarket parts vendors read them.. Most will do at no charge.. To help point you in the right direction, and/or at a possible cause, having the codes is a huge help...

Old 06-03-2008, 03:19 PM

It is the V6 pretty sure the 4.0 SOHC engine. The light comes and goes but the idol is real rough and sometimes sluggish to accelerate. The mechanic said the two up stream were what needed replacing. I'am scaring 200K it's at 195 K and I don't know if they have ever been replaced so they probably do need it.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Any tricks to the 3 spark plugs on the passengers side there a booger. Also how about getting to the 02 sensor connections?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM

There are two heated oxygen sensors and two non-heated in your catalytic converter(s). The two non-heated are a snap. The heated are easy to get out of your manifolds (headers) but attaching and unattaching the connectors are rough. Here's how I did it (the heated sensors) less than a month ago. Do the d/s first, by breaking the torque on the sensor and losening it. To disconnect the wire adapter use a 10" piece of hanger with one end cut sharp,stick it in green connector's tab from the bottom of the truck and pull thecable once it unlocks. When you install the new sensor, use that hanger to attach it also. I have a trick for the p/s.Start the same way, by losening the sensor. Now pull off the cover inside the p/s wheel-well (slowly and carefully not to tear it or lose and fasteners). You should be able to see that connector. Also be careful not to break it lose from the white tab that holds the cable away from the exhaust. I've never swapped O2 sensors before and this took me about two hours and most of it was a plan of attack. If you have trouble breaking lose the sensor, use PB Blaster, maybe even spray it on the day before.