Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

98 4.0 OHV Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Question 98 4.0 OHV Head Gasket Replacement

Have a 98 Explorer SPort with the 4.0 OHV (X) engine. Have been chasing the antifreeze disappearance for quite some time. Appears to be head gasket by #4 cylinder leaking outward. My question is, do I need to replace both head gaskets? If I'm doing open heart on the engine, should I do both while there or should I just leave well enough alone on the other head gasket? Opinions are appreciated.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

If I was breaking down the top end to do the repair I'd do both sides 'for sure', since I loose most times when gambling and doing a repeat repair is always a drag in both time and additional cost..

Possible option... If it's ONLY weeping or a minor leak to the outside, as a low cost 'alternative' to a higher mileage engine or for a customer/friend that I regularly service the vehicle as side work, I've used IRONTITE Cooling System Sealant with good results.. I don't usually recommend a chemical seal over a parts repair because of the possibilty of a leak later on when it may not be 'convenient' to repair, or liabilty isues, but may be worth a try on your own vehicle when cost to mileage are an issue.. If the coolant levels are monitored on a fairly regular basis, a worthy seal attempt.. Being that it's mixed/added to the coolant, it can/may seal a future leak that may develop later like radiator, expansion plugs, heater core ect.. If you've tried a chemical seal of some sort with a continued leak, I'd go with a complete repair. Good product though..

http://www.irontite.com/store/index....85ba835021fbfb

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-01-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Cool

I'm a terrible gambler as well. I have just been leary of the "additives". This explorer we have had for two years, my daughter drives it school and work and puts maybe 3500 miles a year on it. Maybe it would be worth an additive. It has been loosing antifreeze since day one ( a cup a month ) but now slightly more and I can finally see it on the driveway and where it eminates from. Question is, where do I find this IRONTITE stuff?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

You can get Irontite products at NAPA if you have one local.. Or most any auto parts vendor can order it in..

It does a pretty good job permanent sealing or I wouldn't recommend it, and with some personal experience with the product.. And you'll 'feel' why they call it Irontite when you hold a bottle I've used some of the other 'brand X' sealers in the past for various reason, and the Irontite will beat them hands down IMO.. Their 'ceramic sealer' is even more of an aggressive sealer, but requires the cooling system to be flushed of anti freeze, then the sealer run through the system with a dry time, then another flush to remove the sealer residue before coolant fill..

My bet is that would/should easily stop the leak, but if it it were to fail, then there's always the mechanical fix option..

Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Okay, couldn't find it locally, but ordered today on-line. Will give it a shot and let you know the outcome. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Put it in a week ago. So far so good, no leaks and monitoring the anti=freeze consumption. Will get back in a couple of weeks to confirm the fix.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Smile Still going strong

Still haven't added any anti-freeze. Starts better w/o any rough idling. No noticeable ant-freeze by cylinder #4 or ground. See some in the overflow tank but not concerned. Maybe this was a good quick fix. Thanks for the advice. When she goes to college this fall, I will do a head gasket change when I need to.