Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

98 Exploer won't crank

Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Default 98 Exploer won't crank

Okay it has power because I am getting my lights and all of my dinging nosies. I have had the battery recharged. The only code I can get is PO340 which is the camshaft sensor but the guy at the parts store said that that could not be the problem. I have jumped it and let it run for 45 minutes and then shut it off and gone back out 10 minutes later and the battery is drained again. I then jumped it agin and let it run again but when I shut it off I removed the negative cable from the battery, but when I put it back on it still would not start. I have changed out the cable clamps on the battery and I have cleaned both of them along with cleaning the post.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Default RE: 98 Exploer won't crank

Remove both cables, clean the battery posts and inside of the connectors and snug back down. A bad terminal connection willallow everything to work OK, but not crank. Also, what is the battery voltage prior to trying to start? How old is the battery? Is the fluid level up to par? You can have enough voltage, but not getting enough amperage out of the battery. You can also have enough amperage, but not enough voltage. Both go hand-in-hand. The Motorcraft "MAINTENANCE FREE" battery is servicable. You can pop the tops and add distilled water to the cells.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Default RE: 98 Exploer won't crank

I have actually changed the connectors and cleaned the post because that was my first thought. But the voltage when they checked my battery was 9.2 and they said it had to be at least 12 to crank my car so they recharged it for me. I bought the battery 19 months old and I do not know about the fluid because I am a girl and my husband won't let me near the battery incase something goes wrong, but thank you for asking that question because it was the second question I ask him and he couldn't tell me. It is a Duralast Gold.