Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

ARC suspension Please can some one help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Default ARC suspension Please can some one help??

[]Hi can anyone give me any help or tell me of an website where I can sort this out??

I've had problems with the "Automatic Ride Control" & the compressor "clicking" every few seconds but not inflating.
I had a look under back axle & found 2 'bars' hanging loose 1 hanging downwards & other attatched loosely to back of frame pointing to rear & able to move up or down if attatched to a "spring". At the free end there's 2, 1" long - 1/4" 'bars' attatched at right angles, the first approx 1" from end & other approx 1" from that. I also found hanging down what looks like a 6" rubber 1" tube with like a "spring" inside.
I moved the bars about and then the "tube"-with the engine running- and all of a sudden the compressor came to life and the truck started to go up. So I presume that these bars & the "tube" are the -rear height adjuster,rear fill solenoid & rear gate solenoid ?

Regarding the Rear Height Solenoid As I've mentioned if I move the Height Solenoid around the compressor does come on and inflate the rear shocks, or the deflate valve is triggered to let it go down.
So I Took the Rear Height Sensor assembly off and cleaned it. Can't actually take the H. Sensor apart completely to clean;can you?? so I just cleaned & greased all the assembly parts so it all moved smoothly.
When I put it all back and started the car; every few seconds there was a clicking sound coming from around the compressor area.
I got back under with engine still running and detached the H Sensor again from its bottom mounting and as I moved the sensor the compressor came to life and the suspension went up.
Reattatched the H Sensor and again there was just the clicking noise but now life from the compressor.
Would it help if I removed the compresser & all connectios around it & cleaned them??
1 thing I have found is I thought an 98 explorer would have ARC front & back but I cannot find any sign of the Height Sensor at the front. Is this right ?

Sorry for the long message but I would be very grateful of any help anyone could give as the Workshop manual info on this is useless.
[/align]

Old 02-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Default RE: ARC suspension Please can some one help??

The height sensors are linear devices, and you may have an open in the sensor that is not transmitting the correct info to turn the compressor on. You can get the codes checked for the system, if it is height control and not just rear air shocks. The fact you can move the sensor and turn the compressor on leads me to believe the sensor is broken or open internally.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Default RE: ARC suspension Please can some one help??

Cheers Dennis for the info

Had Compressor off today, checked all wiring which with all doors/tailgate shut wre live with engine running.Reconnected everything whilst compressor unbolted so could see & check. then with engine running moved Height Solenoid up/down & compressor came to life & inflated shocks.
I watched and listened with engine running and compressor "clicked" every few minutes but did not inflate shocks.

Then I took the plunge and took Height solenoid off,romoved rubber gaiter and cleaned the inside.
While doing that I found the rubber gaiter has 2 or 3 splits in it.

Could that be the problem as with the gaiter split I presume it wont hold the pressure within it, IF its supposed to??

Could that be the cause of the problem??