Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Default Brake lights

Haven't been on here for a while, need a little help. Backing out of spot today & noticed in store window that I don't have brake lights, tail lights are working, backup lights are working & flasher is working (the amber lights)

In owners manual I see there is no fuse for the brake lights, just two (2) separate fuses for brake position sensor. Is this the likely problem area, one of these two fuses? I don't have any 7.5 fuses handy, so will have to try to make it to a AutoZone or something to buy fuses & hope I don't get hit from rear or get a ticket.

Is there something I am missing or something else it could be or something else I should be checking other than the bulbs themselves? I know next to nothing about anything electrical on a vehicle, but was surprised there was no stop light relay or fuse location shown in the manual. Thanks for any info or help.

PS - I live in Phx, AZ, so not a lot of corrosion damage on the vehicle and it has a relatively new battery (less than 6 mos), pretty dry here & Explorer is a '98 with over 160K, but is in pretty good condition for a 16 yr old vehicle, it's also a V6, two wheel drive, automatic, A/C, 6 way power drivers seat, CD changer, headlight sensor in mirror, no moon roof, rear A/C, pwr windows. I recently replaced front rotors / pads, could that have anything to do with it? Exp stops just fine, no wobbles, no noise's.

Jack

Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Under the dash ,right by the brake pedal, should be the stoplite switch. It is possible when in the process of doing the brake work someone might have hit the switch and pulled a wire off. When the pedal is depressed it allows the switch plunger to extend and close the contacts causing the stop lites to come on. Just a good place to start looking.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Under the dash ,right by the brake pedal, should be the stoplite switch. It is possible when in the process of doing the brake work someone might have hit the switch and pulled a wire off. When the pedal is depressed it allows the switch plunger to extend and close the contacts causing the stop lites to come on. Just a good place to start looking.
Thanks for info, I checked the switch (hope it's correct one) and:

No wires are pulled loose from or around the switch, could it be the switch itself has gone bad? Is this the switch that is connected to the brake pedal lever & is moved or moves a rod through a rubber boot through the firewall?

All of my brakes lights are inoperative, right/left and the third light on upper tailgate, so it would probably be something like that wouldn't it? I have tail lights, so the light assemblies are getting juice. Is that the only switch on these Explorers that control the brake lights?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 PM

Well I bought a new brake pressure sensor switch and replaced old one and that was the fix for my problem, brake lights work fine now, $13.99 for the switch and about 20 mins for old out / new in.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM

glad you got it fixed. in cases that pressure switch is for letting you go from park to reverse unless they combined those two switches.