Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Clicking From Rear (wheel, driveshaft)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Default Clicking From Rear (wheel, driveshaft)

The other day i noticed on my wife's explorer that when you go to take off or come to a stop i would hear a clicking. Sounded like it was coming from one of the rear wheels. The truck is an '04 all wheel drive, with 40k. sounds like a card in bicycle spokes almost but louder. Basically i jacked up the left rear wheel of the truck and spun the wheel with the truck in neutral. wheel spins freely and no noise is heard. i then jacked up the right rear wheel and went to spin the wheel. the wheel will spin about 1/2 turn and then kinda binds up, at this point you can hear a click coming from what sounds like the driveshaft. so basically i can spin the right rear wheel but it kinda gets stuck and i hear a click coming from the driveshaft it sounds like. this makes no sense that i don't hear the driveshaft spin when i spin the other wheel. anyone have any suggestions or know what is wrong with it?? it is now driving me crazy. it also seems to do it more when you go to take off and you are making a left hand turn, don't know if it has something to do with the extra weight that is on the wheel at that time.
thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.