Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Clutch fan 2007 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM

This is how I might see it,
The thermostat apparently is working correctly since it is not overheating.
The fan assy is reacting to a high temp coming off the radiator and needs to remove that heat. If the a/c system is putting a lot of heat onto the radiator and the radiator needs to cool that coolant , the fan is responding to that condition. I would think your mechanic should have checked for any obstruction to air flow through the radiator and a/c condenser. If the fins of the radiator are clogged with dust and other debris the air that contacts the fan clutch is very hot and the clutch is trying to move as much air as possible.
Here is the 64 dollar question, could the fan blade itself have been put on backwards?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:11 PM

Ok drove vehicle about 30 minutes this evening. Parked for about 45 minutes then hit back in and drove back home. Clutch fan sounded like it was engaged most oh the way home. Every time gas was pushed fan was extremely loud. The entire way home. This was the most the carcass driven in a short amount of time since the clutch fan was originally replaced. Seriously thinking of getting another opinion from smother mechanic.

Any thoughts ford owners?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 AM

It is a simple thing to confirm. Note the direction the fan rotates when the engine is started or running. Then after shutting the engine off look at the fan blades and see if they push the air toward the engine when moved manually.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 PM

Ok, now a way more serious problem. Drove home last nigh and it acted like fan was engaged entire way home but no warning lights or anything was on. Today when I went out there is a puddle of transmission fluid under vehicle, not at front of vehicle where radiator is but back, like under transmission case. Help ! Have 14,500 miles on rebuild transmission - warranty ran out at 12,000 miles. Transmission fluid is bright red, not brown or burned smelling. Help please !

Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM

Doesn't have to be anything serious could be a loose line, but someone has to get under the vehicle and look for the source. Were you able to check if the fan blade was installed correctly?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:31 PM

Hanky my brother in law got under vehicle and says it appears leak is torque converter or where transmission bolts to engine? Front seal? I am extremely distressed as I am 2500 miles over my warranty for transmission rebuild. Fluid is reddish pink in color and no odor at all which I'm hopeful this is a good sign.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Default Clutch Fan 2007 Explorer

Still waiting to hear about transmission fluid leak. BTW - the shop that did my rebuild last year has gone out of business. Not that they would owe me anything because I am over my warranty but they are out of business.

Any thoughts anyone?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM

Converter seal leaks are not uncommon.
This is one of those things where maybe the seal was of inferior quality.
If some parts were worn that should have been replaced , even a good seal can't do everything. This will not be a cheap repair because the transfer case needs to be removed to get the trans out so the converter seal can be replaced. The seal will cost less than $20.00 , but the labor to get to it is where the higher cost comes in.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Default Clutch Fan 2007 Explorer

so, the torque converter seals is what you are referring to as a possible problem ?

When you say labor intensive, like 8 hours labor?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 PM

From past experience we don't know what kind of work the previous shop did.
Your best bet is to get more than one estimate.

Quick Reply: Clutch fan 2007 Explorer