Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Cracked Rear Applique Panel on 2002-2005 Explorers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Angry Cracked Rear Applique Panel on 2002-2005 Explorers

I've seen on quite a few websites ( http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea73f3 , http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Ex...nt/index.shtml , http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl.../Explorer/Body ) that a lot of Explorer owners have complained about cracks in the applique panel on the back hatch glass (over 1,000 complaints on these 3 sites alone).

This crack usually occurs on one side or the other of the blue oval, sometimes both sides. Cracks usually run top to bottom, hairline to 1/2". Ford acknowledges that this is a manufacturing defect (the applique is glued to the glass. Both have different expansion rates. Since the plastic is the thinner of the 2, it cracks), but refuses to fix the problem. It is not an owner issue & is not from "slamming" the hatch shut, as some Dealers have accused the owners. Around 2005 Ford had a program where they would assist with the repair, however their stance is now that this is out of warranty & is no longer their problem. Some of the owners that paid $300 and up to have this defect fixed on their own have complained that the "repaired" panel has also cracked. I've noted on one other site that a respectable dealer fixed this with money in a "slush fund" for such problems.

If you have this problem, please post what you have done to have it corrected. Did Ford fix yours, what was the cost, etc. If you've had a success story with getting Ford to fix yours, please let the rest of us know how it was accomplished.

You can contact the Ford Customer Relations Center @ crcfmc@ford.com and let them know how you feel about their policy. Additionally, I am having bumper stickers made to let others know about this problem & to see what can be done to get it fixed. It says "Here is my Explorer Butt Crack... It's a Ford defect, Ford won't fix it.", with an arrow pointing to the crack.

If anyone is interested in one these, just let me know.

Last edited by Explorerbuttcrack; 01-18-2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Default Cracked Rear Applique Panel on 2002 2005 Explorers

From my experience working as both a service advisor and parts counter guy over the years no dealer with warranty a cracked light. Like the others said go talk to the service department.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 AM

This is not a cracked light, it is the panel that runs between the lights, directly below the hatch glass. And Ford has replaced the part on vehicles that were out of warranty & Dealers have also replaced the part with money from their "slush fund", used for such issues. The problem is, there are only a few dealers who care enough about customer service to take care of it. Most are like the dealers you worked for & don't give a crap.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 AM

And BTW... the bumper stickers I offer are free. Just want to make that crystal clear, as some other site deleted the posting as it "appeared" to be soliciting.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Didn't specify this before, email myexplorerbuttcrack@hotmail.com if you'd like a bumper sticker.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 PM

I have had the same problem with the cracked rear panel. I purchased a new unpainted panel, painted it reapplied the ford logo and glued it back on. The cost was about $250 for all the materials. After a couple years now, it is coming loose. My next try will be to clean it up and use "Dual lock" to reapply the panel. Dual lock is like velcro but much stronger. It is use in Aircraft and trains to apply interior panels.

There is also an issue with the lock mechanism rusting away. You must clean it up as best as poss and apply a rust inhibitor paint or coating. After I try the Dual lock I will also be applying a clear silicone around the perimeter of the whole panel to keep moisture away from the lock mechanism. Hopefully this will solve the problem once and for all.

The issue was mentioned before by others, that the panel is a form of plastic that is attached to the bottom of the large glass window and they expand and contract at different rates. If the panel is attached very well it will crack so you need to have a little bit of play which I am hoping that the "Dual Lock" will provide.

Good luck to the many other Explorer owners with this problem. It is very frustrating that Ford is not showing responsibility for this design flaw. I cannot believe that the Ford Engineers did not see this coming and thought gluing 2 dislike materials would hold up.

T

Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 PM

This is common to these cars; this happens to probably 75% of them after a few years. And yes, Ford doesn't care because IT'S OUT OF WARRANTY!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM

I have a 03 Explorer XLT with the same problem. But for the DIY's i can get you that applique unpainted for 164.30 + tax. I mean still alot, but not as much as what I have seen around.

Rob Mcneel
Bill Currie Ford Parts
Internet Sales
rmcneel@billcurrie.com

Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM

how do you remove the broke part and install the new one ?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Default removing the old panel

you can use a plastic putty knife, so you don't scratch the glass. be very careful not to break the glass either. if it's on with double sided automotive tape, sometimes you can use dental floss or floral wire to get behind a piece & cut it. Save the emblem, you'll need to reuse it.

Quick Reply: Cracked Rear Applique Panel on 2002-2005 Explorers