Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Default Electrical Problems

Have a 1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4L SOHC Explorer. Bought it brand new, never had any problems with it. Had to replace the battery, which I did, started vehicle up and checked all the systems, A/c, Seats, Mirrors, windows, ect. Everything worked fine. Car is not driven anymore, just sits, so every once inawehile I start it, drive around the block and run all systems, always checked out ok. Screwed up and let the battery die, recharged, started vehicle, radio, mirroes, seats and headlights/turnsignals and horn all work. Interior dome lights, A/C, Windows and
information center don't work. Checked fuses, found 4 bad, replaced, when I started vehicle or possibly when I turned key on, the same 4 blew again. They are:7.5A Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Instrument Cluster, Securi-Lock.
7.5A Rear Integrated Control Panel, CD
7.5A EATC Memory, CD, Rear Integrated Control Panel, Memory Seat, Message Center. These fuses are located in fuse box inside vehicle.
10A Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor This fuse is located in the High Current Fuse Box under the Hood. When I turn key on I get a loud noise like static in a radio speaker, but radio is off. Seems like the blown fuses are sorta/kinda related to one another. Anyone had a similar problem or any ideas on a fix. Appreciate any and all help.

Bud

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM

It is very unusual to blow 4 fuses at the same time.
You may need to remove the fuse panel inside the vehicle and check if something isn't contacting the back of the panel. You might also have a module inside the vehicle with a short to ground . This could be part of the multiplex system in the vehicle and probably will require some special test equip/scan tool to locate.