Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Explorer not getting heat inside???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Default Explorer not getting heat inside???

My friends' 95 explorer has had the thermostat and coolant changed twice by goodyear trying to figure out why she's not getting heat out her vents. The temperature gauge never passes halfway, she can drive it for 45 minutes straight and still get nothing but cold air. Then if she stops it for like 3 minuteswith the heat off, and then turns it back on, the heat seems to work fine. Anyone have a problem similar to this, or know of what the cause of this could be? I have to look at it tomorrow night.
Thanks

Old 10-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Default RE: Explorer not getting heat inside???

Sounds like either air is trapped in the heater core or it may be partially blocked. Try purging any air out of the system first.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 AM

i have the same prob, what is a good way to purge the system? any tricks??

Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM

does anyone have a good way to purge the system. i would love to get some heat in the truck, its freezing outside.

thanks in advance Jimbo

Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 PM

hi I'm going through all most the same thing. Only my air went first. Then nothing no matter what but cold. I think I've got that because it's 45 degress out side.Fan works though. please post back if u find out any thing. ps I haven't smelled any coolent inside for those who may post back. J

Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM

pop the radiator cap off and turn car on with heat full blast. To purge system go to parts store and by the flush kit that has the different tees and install it where it says to, Take the flush cap and the radiator cap off with heat full blast stick antifreeze into radiator cap until fluid comes out of the flush cap. The kit is made by prestone.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM

For those who think there may be air trapped in the system, you will need to have a vaccum pulled on the cooling system with a special tool and then refilled with antifreeze. I know, no one wants to spend money at a repair shop, but sometimes it's better than freezing. Also, check the heater hoses on both sides of the heater core, with the engine hot, to see if you have flow through the core. If both are hot, then you may have a blend door actuator or door itself that is broke. You will get either hot or cold air, but not both, because the door does not move that sits in front of the heater core. Make sure that the outside recirculation door closes or else you will get outside air in the car. It sits on the passenger side at the blowere motor housing. You should be able to see it or hear it close when you work the position switch from a/c to panel. Hope this helps some. I had a broken blend door in my 98 and had to remove the instrument panel and air distribution box to repair it. Middle of the winter.