Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

flashing airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Default flashing airbag light

When I turn the key to start the truck the airbag light flashes in the following pattern; flash once off flash nine times;; the cycle gets repeated four or five times, and then the light stays on...I have a feeling this won't pass DMV inspection, which is key to me getting a tag.Anyone know specifically what this means? Is airbag repalcement something that can be done @ home or is it a shop thing w/ a lot of time involved ? Thanks. It seems like the bag/kit is around $200 (junkyards) a guy (low paid ) says Ford wants about $800. Anyone got any idea how many shop hours this may involve?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: flashing airbag light

Were the air bags deployed at some point? You state you need an air bag replacement.... If you counted theflash code (LFC) correctly, that code is for the RCM, Crash Data Memory Full.. Or,, if I'm interpreting you post correctly..

Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

What year is you explorer?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:51 PM

The bag was deployed. Will the flashing disappear (computer reset)after the bag is replaced? And do I have to replace the module also.? Someone @ a Ford dealer said the seat belts may have to be replaced too. Due to sensors,etc. Thanks, BTW I have a Suz RF900. The Exp. is a 2002 sport. Someone (maybe a dealer? ) stuck a HD sticker on each side above the Explorer name. Has anyone seen this? Maybe someone was copying the pickup/HD thing. Nothing like paying a couple extra 1000 dollars for a HD badge. Thanks again.Whats the fastest you went on the Haya? I went up to 140 w/ maybe 3-4k to go before redline.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

With a deployment event,deployed airbags, and the restraints control module (RCM) with the diagnostic trouble codeB1231 (Crash Data Memory Full) in memory, or LFC 19, the repair would include the replacement of all deployed bags 'of course', and the replacement of theimpact sensors, with a newRCM. When the driver air bagdeploys, a new clockspring should be installed as well. Safety belt retractor pretensioners(if eqiupped/deployed) would need replacement..

The light won't reset until the system is repaired and proves out.. Airbag simulators are reasonable inexpensive to buy, good insurance if your going to do the repairs and don't want any surprises..

I 'see' your buck forty and raise you... [sm=devilangel.gif]

Old 02-05-2007, 12:46 AM

Are the impact sensors reasonably findable ? And are they a simple replacement (plug in?) and are the pretensioners hard to work with? Thanks
140 is the highest I'll be doing. I had it up to 105 w/ a passenger, got down to 80 and it threw the chain. Thank God it just got hung up in the front sprocket and didn't lock up the back wheel.What's the RPM @ 90 on the Haya? Mines, 6k. I'll be riding the Victory Sport Cruiser'till the Suz is fixed.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Yes,, the crash sensors are just bolt on/plug in equipment.. The clock spring (if bought from ford and should be) is reasonably easy to install as well, with just the air bag/steering wheel removed and the lower column panels for access to running and plugging in the harness.. The clock spring is in a fixed/locked position (new) and are rotationally sensitive meaning they aren't to be wound/unwound over center.. You should be able to find a dismantler that has the Crash Sensors, RCM, and Air Bags.. With 'air bag simulators' installed and all the new componenets replaced, see if the system proves out before plugging in the bags and/or if you get a failure fo the tensioners..If I remember correctly, the simulators are just a 2ohm resister with the bag plug on the end.. Snap On offers them...

You mean in first gear[sm=lildevil.gif] Never done it, but the Busa's are supposed to go from 'zero to almost jail' up against the rev limiter in first gear......

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/47CF4F8B6EBF4CE9B8E700BC001C6A12.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 PM

No,no,fifth or sixth. I'm just curious as to how muchRPM difference there is @ 90mph. Your 1300 cc vs. my 937 cc.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Wher are the crash sensors and how many are there? Thanks