Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Fuel Filter holder exchange needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Default Fuel Filter holder exchange needed

Per my alias, I have two Xs now the fuel filter fitting requiring removal tool (I have 3 sets!) but was not able to remove the fuel filter as the fitting were previously damaged before I bought the X.

While forcing I tore the Teflon/plastic fuel line before the filter, then I had to go to a mechanic who replaced with another cars "housing and filter" but left a kink in the supply pipe.

Every time the X is parked long, eg overnight it requires two cranks (pardon the pun), or attempts to start my X. After over 6 months there is also a starter motor sequel developing now. Similar noise to when the belt slips of old age.

He dropped the fuel tank and lines to replace with another cars line and filter in that area. Also now a few months after the fix, the gauge has started to show less then zero (even when full) and is erratic but am not sure if it has fixed itself after I disconnect the battery and the connection for the wires before the tank. The Haynes manual had a different picture from mine to test for ohms.

Any ideas on a step by step process to remedy the faults? Do you think the kink in the non original line and filter are causing the hard starting and is there a common make car that I can ask to redo. I am in south Africa so parts are hard to get.