Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

fuel line under dash 1992 explorer what does it look like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Default fuel line under dash 1992 explorer what does it look like?

I have a 1992 Explorer. Yesterday it just wouldn't start. It sounds like it is going to start but it won't. I have a new battery. I checked the fuel line shut off. It is pushed in. I want to check the fuel line (located underneath dash on right hand side) to see if it is disconnected,but I don't know what it looks like. Can someone please help me. Thank you.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Default RE: fuel line under dash 1992 explorer what does it look like?

just to let you know I have a 91 Explorer 4wd XLT and I replaced every fuel line, brake line ,transmission line,every vacuum line even and there is no kind of fuel line under the dash. unless they changed alot of stuff between 91 and 92! all my fuel lines ran right down the drivers side frame rail till it got to the engine compartment. Now to the real problem, when you say it sounds like its going to start do you mean it cranks and turns over and thats it? or does it actually sound like its firing up but just not quiet all the way running?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Hi, yes it cranks but doesn't start. Where arethe fusible links from the fuel pump to under the hood? There seems to be no connection being made from the connector to the fuel pump. Please help. Thank you

Old 05-04-2007, 03:21 PM

you should have a one of them fatt maxi fuses in the engine compartment fuse box.. it is one of the chip type fuses but its huge compared to the ones you would replace on the fuse box on the inside of the car. as far as in line fusible links im not sure if there is any or where they would be exactly.As far as know there is only a few things to shut your fuel pump down. One would bea blown maxi fuse in the engine compartment. 2 the interia cut off switch. and the only other thing i can thing of other then a actually break in the wiring is the oil pressure sending unit, i have read that in some of these explorers the fuel system can become totally disabled do to malfuntioning oil pressure sending unit or if the oil pressure sending unit senses there is low or no oil pressure it can trigger the fuel system to shut off. I guess to keep you from starting it when you have a failed or failing oil pump and or oil sending unit.Tell ya what if i were you to get to the root problem as fast as possible i would simple turn the key to the on postion.. on position not start! anyhow turn the key to on position and go back to your back drivers wheeel area the eletrical connection for the fuel pump ison the inside frame rail where the frame humps up over the rear axle houseing. with the key in the on position and the connection un done you should be able to check on the harness itself for power to the fuel pump. if you got power at that pump connectionbut you here no priming of the fuel pump when you plug the connection back in you got a bad pump.. if you got no power at all to the connection check the fuse in the engine compartment. Also check as much of the fuel pump wiring lead back up towards the front of car.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

'Ground' this connection on the Diagnostic Test connector under the hood.. You should hear the fuel pump relay 'click' and the fuel pump will run continually until the ground is removed.. You can check for 12v in and out of the inertia switch if the relay closes without the PCM timing out the pump, as well as applied current at the pump connector.. You can/should also run a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail to varify a good pump/pressure to take a possible bad pump out of the diagnostic equation for a no start condition..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/B541F8EC5B8D452ABFF8B6337E958C54.gif[/IMG]