Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Trucks, Ford Vans & Ford SUV's > Ford Explorer
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Misfire spark plug #3

I have 1999 Ford Explorer Sport (manual) and I have a check engine light on and off for some time now. I had AutoZone check it and it returned a code of P0303. I had this code again like twice for the year. I had the spark plug changed # 3 spark plug then had all the spark -plug wires changed as well. A few days later I get the code again. So what else could be the problem? The AutoZone said it could something wrong the cylinder. Any other thoughts on what it could be?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:37 AM

Default RE: Misfire spark plug #3

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 that had #6 misfire code. The plug looked fine, but changing it resolved the problem. I purchased the SCAN tool and erased the code. It has never returned.

Your Sport should perform badly (running on 5 cylinders) if indeed that #3 plug is not firing. Are you sure you have the plug wire fully conneted on the plug and at the distrubutor? It can fool you sometimes as the fit can be misleading to have full engagement. You may have a gap at one end or the other and it will fire fine most all the time, but when under a heavy load, it may misfire for a few beats, store the code and then go back to running normal!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 AM

well everything runs smoothly now, no longer getting the check engine light or misfire code.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:54 PM

check your coil maybe it is there the problem is at
Old 09-27-2005, 06:54 PM

Tags
06, aerostar, change, explorer, fire, ford, freestar, heavy, load, misfire, miss, p0303, plug, plugs, po303, spark, sparkk