Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Miss /hesitation under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Default RE: Miss /hesitation under load

hey guys i was just drinken I mean thinking lol well a little of both actually but I had a theory to throw out there. first off the lower intake gets hot right! well i was thinking maybe the fuel injector theory use common sense mentioned earlier as far as the seals leaking but maybe it is they only leak when the seals are heated up and distort some what..I dont know,, im just brain storming here for ideas,, never think when you drink it can get confusing lol..

Old 05-03-2007, 05:12 AM

Also i was thinking maybe some vacuum leaks i forgot to mention that a minute ago it really sounds like leak now its just a matter of finding it in the intake gasket as already mentioned or maybe seals or vaccum leaks maybe a coolant system pressure test would assist in diagnoseing a leaking intake gasket as well. you aint got any fluids mixing do you like water in the oil or vise versa?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Not losing any fluids, nor does there seem to be any oils in the coolant. If the RPMs are upped a little, the problem seems to go away. I have used the old "spray the parts with Carb cleaner" method of finding avacuum leak, and no such luck. I have sprayed about every hose junction, and part I can think of.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM

The only other thing that I can think of that is affected by temperature and rpm is the timing. When cold, the timing is retarded for easier starting as it reduces the pressure load on the spark plug making it easier to fire the enriched air/fuel mixture. As it warms up, the timing is normally advanced to 10BTDC +/- 2 degrees at idle. A failing Camshaft Position Sensor can cause running issues due to inaccurate ignition and fuel timing.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:45 PM

hey i just found this msn site to research reveiws on different cars and i thought to check for the 95 we have been talking about here there isnt as much info on this paticuler explorer on there but it does mention somthing about cleaning MAF sensor and replaceing DELTA PFE sensor. there was only one reveiw i seen on there at a quick glance and it didnt even really say what the explorer was doing to have to do these repairs but i thought if them items hadnt been looked at yet couldnt hurt to check em out!http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&trimid=-1 heres the link to the page i seen this info on

Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Well here is what has happened today. I noticed that it has a new Idle Air Control Valve. If I unhook the electrical connection to the IACV, the engine stops immediately. I don't know if it is supposed to do that or not.
I also have noticed that the car seems to have a low idle, somewhere around 650- 700 rpm(approx) when in gear.
I screwed in the throttle stop screw about 3/4 of a turn, and adjusted the Throttle Position Sensor as far counterclock wise as I could. The engine now idles at about 900 rpm in gear, anddidn'tquit at all in a 6 mile test run. Which included about 10 stop lights.
Does anyone know what the idle is supposed to be at? I can't find it in the Haynes book.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 AM

im not positive but most automatics do tend to run around 750 rpm in drive after its warmed up,,, now it can be as high as 1000 to 1350 when you first start it up and its in fast idle mode when the engine is cold...and the engine cutting out with the IAC valve unplugged i do believe is normal.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 AM

O and another thing the 1000 to 1350 rpm range i mentioned above would be with a cold engine and with tranny in park not drive. And the 750 rpm is what it should be at with the engine at operational temp and in drive..

Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Well, further driving with the Explorer today, shows that increasing the idle did not fix the problem. My son is the primary driver, it is his car after all, and he said something interesting today.
These problems occured with the engine under load, (A/C on, or car in gear) while stopped. Today at stop lights he noticed thatwhen the engines starts to miss, indicating a possible stall,if he eases off on the brake a bit and allows the car to roll forward just a bit, the miss immediately goes away. No stall occurs. The previous owners had told us when we bought the car, that they transmission had been rebuilt, though they did not say when.
Is there anything in the trans that could cause this type of problem?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 PM

That really sounds like the vaccum at the power barke booster! ive read alot of info on this web site and almost all of them with the same problems were somthing to do with vaccum not being good. Especially if it gets worse then better as your son is pushing and release the brakes. the power brake booster takes so much of your availible vaccum to operate it that if it is leaking around that booster where the vacuum goes in or maybe in the bake booster itself, but then it would seem like the brakes would be harder to push down if you had any major leaks actually in the brake booster itself. it could be your engine isnt making anormal amount of vaccum in the first place and when the brakes are applied it just takes so much of that vaccum to operate brakes that it robs other engine components that are dependent on that vacuum they are being cheated out off. with out actually being there checking it out myself its kind of hard to say whats going on with that explorer but im running low on ideas here.

Quick Reply: Miss /hesitation under load