Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2002 explorer...please help with 3 issues!! window, egg smell, and engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Default 2002 explorer...please help with 3 issues!! window, egg smell, and engine light

Here are the problems:
1. The passenger window does not roll up. It rolls down, but not up. It cannot be roll up from the passenger side nor the driver side. One time I took it apart and put it back and it worked, but then it failed again after a week or so. Does anyone know whats wrong?

2. My car has a nasty egg smell while in park. Its worse while driving on the freeway. Im thinking its the catalytic converter...am I right on this? I also looked up the catalytic converter for this car and its about $500 on ebay and it comes with 3 converters...is there anything cheaper or other ways?

3. My engine light also pops up. The code saids that its a gas cap. Gas cap? I have never heard of a issue where the gas cap is bad. Anyways, do I need to change this gas cap or what do I do? How do I go about getting rid of this light and issue?

Thanks everyone

Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Default RE: 2002 explorer...please help with 3 issues!! window, egg smell, and engine light

A rotten egg smell usually is a pretty good indication of a problem with the catalytic converter. The check engine light can come on if you haven't tightened the gas cap fully or not put it back on. When you do this I think it takes two cycles of filling the gas tank for the check engine to quit indicating a loose cap.