Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

replacing window glass on 93 Explorer

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Default replacing window glass on 93 Explorer

We THOUGHT we needed a new regulator, but now the used part place said I need glass for the driver's door. GREAT---I've only taken the door panel and speakers off about 6 times now...UGH. Anyway, can anyone help me?
Annette

Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: replacing window glass on 93 Explorer

Whats the issue with the glass??

Sent you a PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM

The window will not stay in the clips at the bottom of it. I thought we could just glue it, but they tell me that won't work. I have the window and clips. I obviously know how to get the door panel off and get the regulator out....[/align][/align]Also, when we put the tabs back in the plastic tabs in the channel they pop back out. Will this be resolved when we put in the new window and brackets?[/align]Annette[/align]

Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 PM

Are you saying that the glass comes out of the channel? If so, go to a glass shop, they have the material that keeps the glass in. If it needs new clips for the glass, they have them. The glass is about 185.00 and the repair would be cheaper.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:49 PM

Bear with me here...I really don't know the proper terminology for everything, although I am a real whiz at getting the door trim panel off

If the channel are the clips on the bottom of the window, then, yes they will not stay. The guys at the salvage yard told me I can't glue them. If you are twlling me that I can I am really going to be ticked off. I already have the window and just need to install it.

The other question I have is about the plastic runners that the clips fit into. They don't seem to want to stay put either. Will this be corrected by putting in the new glass?

At this point I'm not very happy....I finally just left the door panel off and driving around with my window/lock controls just dangling there. I thought it would be simpler than taking it on and off repeatedly, but it's more hassle getting the door open and closed than fooling with the trim. If anyone else has Dynamat or is thinking about getting it just know it's one heck of a mess to get the speakers out!

Can you please tell me what I really need so I can use my window? This whole thing is getting pretty old.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Let's see if I understand this. The driver's window should have two round clips that go into the holes at the bottom of the glass. These clips are a two part piece, one on each side of the glass inside and outside. Then the glass is pop riveted to the window regulator. These are special pop rivets of a certain size. If you have a large pop rivet gun, then you can install them. Your local Ford dealer or glass shop should have the correct rivets. Back to the clips, the outside piece is the one with the metal reinforcement. You must be very careful installing the rivets, as the glass has been known to shatter, even when done by experienced techs.