Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Trucks, Ford Vans & Ford SUV's > Ford Explorer
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Default Should I switch to synthetic or half-synthetic oil?

I have two explorers, mine is a 2000 with 140k and my wifes is a 1997 with 120k. I would like to switch them both to either synthetic or half-synthetic as I have been taking them to the dealer and getting the cheap stuff. I used to use Castrol Syntec (half synthetic) in my 92 Ranger which had 212k on it when I sold it 2 years ago and I still see it driving around. I would however appreciate any suggestions or recommendations anyone could give me. I would especially like to be directed to any sites that compare the oils by a non-biased party, (non manufacturer). Is it better to go half synthetic for a number of years and then go full, or does it matter? Let me know what has worked for you.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
2010 Lincoln MKZ
My Garage

I would go FULL SYNTHETIC for the price difference between a FULL and a SEMI-Synthetic lubricant.

My personal preference is ASMSOIL. Have been using it in everything I own/have owned with "0" problems.

I presently have AMSOIL in my following items since new:

1979 Gilson Snow Blower - Model 5148 (Engine, Geer Box, Tranny) (Bought from original owner who never used it)
1995 Honda Self-Propelled lawn Mower (Engine)
1999 Campbell Hausfeld 2500 PSI pressure washer (Engine)
2004 Ford Freestar Limited (Engine, Tranny, Power Steering, Oil & Air filter)
2003 Poulan 2-Cycle Weed Trimmer (100:1 Pre-Mix)
2005 Yardman 2-Cycle Roto Tiller (100:1 Pre-Mix)
2007 Farm-Hand 3-Cylinder 5 HP Air compressor (Compressor)
2007 Generac 17.5KW Generator (Engine, Oil filter)
2008 Airens Snow Blower - Model 11528DLE (Engine, Gear Box)
2008 Sable (Engine, Tranny, Power Steering, Engine, Oil & Air filter)
2008 ECHO PAS-265 2-Cycle PRO Attatchment unit (100:1 Pre-Mix)
2009 3,000 PSI Troy-Bilt Pressure Washer (Engine)
1979 Gilson 32" 10HP Snowblower
2007 Generac 17.5Kw Generator w/33HP Twin-Cylinder engine
Farmhand 3-Cylinder air compressor

AMSOIL Lubricants and Filters in everything

"Have a good day, and a better one tomorrow"

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 05-26-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:50 PM

At the mileage you have on your vehicles, I don't see any reason to change from Ford's Synthetic Blend to a Full Synthetic. I doublt that it will improve the life of the motor, if you have been getting it serviced on a regular basis. Your Full Synthetic will run about 7 dollars a quart or better and the 5W20 or 5W30 (depending on motor) that goes into a "oil change special" runs about 2 dollars a quart. The reason for the price difference is that Ford sells the 5W20 and 30 in the hundreds of gallons at a time verses by the quart. I have used the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend in my vehicles for years with no problem. My 90 model that I gave to my grand-daughter is approaching 300,000 miles and runs like a new one, with no oil comsumption. My 98 that I drive to work has 240,000 on it and again no problems. I do run the Full Synthetic in my 04 Lariet, just to get another mile or two per gallon out of it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ford Engine Master
L1
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Any FRESH, CLEAN oil is fine. Just make sure you change it at the recommended interval.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Tags
05, engine, escape, expedition, explorer, f150, ford, half, mercury, oil, sable, suv, switch, switching, synthetic