Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Trans leak at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Default Trans leak at highway speeds

I am new to this post but not new to owning Fords. I recently purchased a 03 explorer and have developed a trans leak at highway speeds 65+. I recently did my own trans flush and originally thought it was residual fluid from draining and filling the trans. So I cleaned the pan and surrounding area with brake clean and wiped everything dry. I took a long ride to the mountains and started to smell trans fluid. I pulled over and looked underneath and saw fluid dripping onto the exhaust causing it to smoke and smell. I took it home and tried to trace where the fluid is leaking from. I noticed a wet area on top of the bell housing on the right side but could not trace it farther. I first thought that it may be the front trans seal so I took the starter off and looked into the bellhousing and everything was dry. So I cleaned the area again with brake clean and went for a short ride not going over 50mph for about 6 miles. I pulled into the garage and crawled under the explorer and everything was dry. I am not experiencing any trans shifting concerns at all or is their any lights flashing or on indicating any malfunction. Could it be that the converter is being unbalanced at higher speeds and causing the front converter bushing to wear goofy and cause the leak? Any suggestions?