Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Ventilation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Default Ventilation Problem

I have this strange problem with my Explorer XTL (model of 2002). During a heavy acceleration (when climbing hills or simply overtaking other cars) when RPM go over 3000 the air cease coming from the front panel vents. It doesn't cease coming from below or from the rear sit vents, only from the front panel. It's really annoying when riding with air-conditioning turned on in hot weather. When acceleration stops and RPM goes below 2500, the air starts coming again normally from the front panel vents. The problem doesn't show itself when accelerating parked in neutral, even at 6000 RPM. It occurs only in movement.

Local mechanis (I live in South America) are not too qualified and cannot tell what it is. I already visited 3 different of them and still no results. I think it's something wrong with air flow control or some sensor is failing, but I know rather little about electrics.

Anyone know what this problem may be?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I have not been speaking it for a while...

Old 02-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Default RE: Ventilation Problem

Ok Antes que nada te hago una pregunta, la camioneta avanza bien cuando haces ese tipo de aceleraciones??? osea te responde a lo que demandas? si la respuesta es si, te lo voy a explicar de esta manera.... el motor de vehiculo necesita la mayor fuerza posile (HP) para responder tus demandas de manejo,,, ahora, cuando tienes el A/C encendido este "quita" fuerza al motor y al momento de de subir rpm de esa manera el motor automaticamente baja la presion del a/c para responder a tu demanda,,,, si me doy a explicar??
Mira Phoenix, haz una prueba,,,, en una larga recta o planicie poco a poco "sin usar sobremarcha o forzar maquina" lleva la explorer a mas de 3000 rpm con el a/c encendido y veras que todo funciona a la perfeccion!

una cosa mas es tu X V6??

take care....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Sorry, but Spanish is not my native language either. I can understand you, but cannot write it correctly. I'm Russian.

There is no problem with motor power, I can overtake most of the cars on the road. I'm pretty happy with this car and it's on-road characteristics. I understand your arguments, but I bought this car 6 month ago (used) and ventillation has not been working properly only for 1 last month. It worked just OK before. This means that something that was right before now does not work properly and I want to find out what is it in order to fix it.

To clarify a little - I live near Quito, it's located in mountains and I go up and down +/-1 km in absolute altitude almost every day in this car. So if it did not work before, I would notice right away. This is also the reason why it annoys me so much - at least 30% of driving time I have to climb pretty high slopes amd thus it cease blowing quite frequently.

Also, your explanation does not explain why it does not cease blowing from rear sits vents. If a/c looses pression it has to loose it everywhere.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Sorry Phoenix, i thought you were latino....[&:]

So engine takes off fine...good the ways should be

Is it one month started to doing it or... one month that You notice it?

Don't forget Phoenix that the main or head vents of a/c are operated by engine Vacuum. you can hear it when you activate a/c or change vent panel position...
Now,is Not that the a/c looses pressure at all, is the computer and vacuum sistem the ones puts it in second plain in order to give most power to engine...why not the others? because the a/c fan (which has nothing to do with all this) never stops working....

and one more thing... engines get old as well... so they get to demand to the systems more and more to satisfy driving conditions...

In other words...your Exp is just fine!

Take care... Saludos!!

P.S.
Somebody else reading this post know some more or something else about this topic please advice....

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 PM

You have a vacuum leak somewhere in the heater/ac system.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: btexpress

You have a vacuum leak somewhere in the heater/ac system.
hi btexpress, have three different trucks with the same behavior since i bought them, 2 used, and one of them (2000 xls Explorer) brand new, and ever since is been acting like that, i asked the dealership and thats the explanation they gave me, it doesn't bother me at all so didn't look for another opinion, however now, after 8 years and 65k miles.... the a/c of the explorer works exactly the same as back then, no worst or better,,,, just the same as phoenix here explained in the 1st post.... for the record.

cheers.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Your problem is likely the vacuum reservoir or canister that stores vacuum until needed, like under heavy accel. The canister has a leak, or is not connected. [sm=mail.gif]