Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

What 'EXACTLY' does the darn inertia switch / fuel pump shut off switch look like

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Default What 'EXACTLY' does the darn inertia switch / fuel pump shut off switch look like

I have been on-line ALL DAY trying to find this darn fuel pump shut off switch to try to see if it needs to be reset (well now I read it is also called an inertia switch). The majority of the people who have answered me have said it is located in front of the passenger seat under the rug under the heater, etc. I have also seen a couple pics of it but when I look with my flashlight, I can NOT find it. I see nothing at all that resembles anything like the picture or anything that has a red button to push on it. Of course I dont have the manual since this is a used vehicle and it didn't come with and even more of course I cant find one for 'free' online. Me and my husband are trying to get this dang thing started (it will fire up but wont start, oh yea, it has no spark we also learned) to see it for $$$$ to support our family so we basically have to try the 'free' things to check and easy (my husband knows a little about cars with help, guidance, description and pictures, but he is no darn mechanic, he is a drywaller). It will start with a jump but as soon as we turn it off, it will only fire up again and not start. I just want to see if somehow this little button or whatever it is came undone and all I simply have to do is reset it. I took a pic of under the hood and am going to try to upload it in case someone can tell me if they see it???? Thanks (nevermind, I took 2 pics and tried to upload but it said file to large, then i just tried with 1 pic and again it said file is too large, sorry) ? I can email the pics?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What 'EXACTLY' does the darn inertia switch / fuel pump shut off switch look like

Inertia switch won't have anything to do with a no spark condition.. What year are you working with?

You can download the owners guide here... http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...ault?page=Home

When you try and embed an image in a post straight from your PC, it has to be a file size of approx. 200kb. To change the image file size you may want to 'copy and paste' for a duplicate ofthe original picfirst if you want it to remain that size for later viewing.. On the copy, open it in 'Paint'. In yoursavedpictures('My Pictures' if thats the place they were saved) 'right' click the picture and select 'edit'.. If it doesn't open to Paint, select 'open with' and then clickPaint. Once it opens in Paint it can be resized. On the top of the header you'll see 'image'. Click image and select 'stretch/skew' and then reduce the % until the properties of the picture shows to be about 200kb. You'll have to close the picture/program to recheck the file properties.. Thepic/file will then upload..

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Default RE: What 'EXACTLY' does the darn inertia switch / fuel pump shut off switch look like

Sorry about that, it is a 1991 Ford Explorer. OK I told my husband that that part has nothing to do with no spark. So what I have here is the key will fire the car up like it wants to start but it wont start. We checked and it does NOThave spark at either the spark plug or NO spark at the coil either. I wish somebody could talk to my husband in person because he is computer illeterate and tells me what to say on the computer and I keep getting it wrong. I guess I was wrong, it will not start with a jump anymore. My husband just called autozone yet again and now they are telling him it might be the 'coil pack'. They claim you 'CANT' testthis year/make/model's coil pack ?supposedly? *is that true????* and it costs $84.95, which of course we don't have at this time. So do you have any advise in your expertise if we can test a 91 ford explorer coil pack and if it is true that we can, HOW???? Otherwise, do you agree with the man on the phone at autozone or do you have any other suggestions on what it might be?
Please let me know if you can and I will pass this info onto my hubby. Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm sorry, 2 more things. Thanks for the info on the pics and the website for the owners manual. Unfortunately; however, since my Explorer is a 1991, the website for manuals goes back to 1996. I don't know where to find a manual online that old for free. OK thanks alot. I hope to hear from you or anyone with any advise onmy information that I updated. Thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Could be the coil pack, or a connector/harness or related component issue.. There’s more to the ignition for spark than just the coil pack.. The ignition for the most part consists of the PCM (trucks computer) an ICM (ignition control module) and a CKP (crank position sensor).. The cranks sensor is mounted down low on the engine (passenger side) on the front timing cover just behind the crank pulley.. It's an electro magnet device that generates an A/C signal that the ICM/PCM uses to fire the coils in the correct sequence/time, as well as fuel injection all at the correct time.. Check the connector on the crank position sensor for corrosion on the internal pins ect. The crank sensor has a decent failure rate, but may/may not be your cause, but probably where I'd check first..

What are the details for the original failure? An engine stall while driving?, a no start after a long sit time, any 'check engine light' prior to the no start? Did it ever stall, then restart after sitting for a while?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 PM

maybe Hayapower will be able to help me on this question, since he has an '05 F-250 with a 6.0 I have an '06 F-350 with the 6.0. when the engine is warmed up it will not pump any fuel to restart the engine no matter how long or how many times you crank on it. There is no sound of the under frame pump running, and no little yellow glow plug indicator light in the dash. Once the engine has completely returned to a cooled down temp again, when you hit the ignition, the little preheat indicator light is back on and you can hear the fuel pump on the frame kick on. the motor will start back up and run perfectly for as long a wanted. i have left it idle at fuel islands while i refueled then continued on my 650 mile drive. no issues as long as it isnt shut off. when it is shut off after reaching operating temp, it will take 3-5 hours to cool enough for the pump to work again. A mechanic came out and read the code while it was in the no run mode. he said it was the "fuel control module", that it cost around $800 and comes from the Ford house only. I cant afford that. I did phone a scrap yard who thinks they could get me a used one. they want me to get all the info off of my unit, so they can try to match it. I don't know what the thing looks like or where it would be located, so getting the info off the part has not been going very well. have you heard of this occurring to any other 6.0 owners, does it sound like i am on the right track, any idea where to find the fuel control module, or pics of it?
Anybody got any helpful replies?