Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Sensor plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Default 02 Sensor plug

I have a 96 F-150 4X4 XLT with the 4.9 (inline 6/300) engine and 5 speed manual trans..The 02 sensor plug coming from the wiring harness got against the exhaust and melted it beyond recognition. It is the one at top of back exhaust pipe (Bank 2 Sensor 1) I believe its called..It shut off goin down the road and wouldnt crank back up..After towing it home and going over things I found the destroyed plug and all the wires melted together.I pulled the wires apart and disconected plug to 02 sensor.Still wouldnt crank.Come to find out it had blown the ECM fuse.I replaced it and the truck cranked up and seemed to run fine.I drove the truck for a while till inspection time..Yes. Now I have to fix because of the dreaded CEL (Check Engine Light)..Of course it will not pass inspection with it on..I purchased a new plug for wiring harness and a new 02 sensor but the new plug isn't color coded to the factory wires from harness and I couldnt tell what color went where because it was melted so bad (just a big blob) .I wired it how I thought it went but it is still throwing 02 codes..I bought a Hanes manual $29.99 for it to tell me that the tests for 02 sensor and stuff only works up to a 95 model (OBD1) That I would have to buy the OBD 2 book to find what equip
ment and test I needed to check 02 sensor..Ok another $29.99 for OBD2 book and all it shows in the wiring schematics (diagram) is a symbol for the 02 sensor and what color wires go to it(I already knew what color wires went to it) It does'nt show what color wire goes to what pin on the 4 pin plug on wiring harness end.
FINALLY I am $ 120.00 poorer since parts and books and we are to my question. Does any one have ,no where to find or purchase a diagram, picture, etc. showing what color wire goes to what pin on the 4 pin plug coming out of wiring harness ? Again thats the Bank2 Sensor1 0xygen sensor wiring harness plug from truck.The oxygen sensor at the top of back exhaust pipe next to firewall.
So I can make sure I have it wired correctly and be sure it didnt short (Fry) the ECM. I would hate to go buy a new $300.00 computer (ECM) and it be wired wrong and short (Fry it) it out.
Please Help ...
Any diagrams pictures or advice will be greatly appreciated..I need to solve this problem so I can get my truck inspected an can buy a new license plate..Mine is expired and cant get new plate because the truck wont pass inspection with CEL on...THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE...

Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Default Help

I know someone out there in this forum has a truck like mine. Just raise your hood and look at your harness draw me a little diagram and tell me what color wire connects to what pin on the wiring harness of the back top 02 sensor next to firewall please..I have been to every salvage yard within 50 miles of me and none of them have a 96 with the 4.9 and the 3 oxygen sensors on it have different color wires...

Old 11-24-2016, 12:54 PM

Can you supply the colors of the wires you presently have on the sensor plug and the colors of the wires coming out of the wring harness?
Need to know what we are working with and maybe can get the correct connections .

Coming from the harness one of the wires should read 12 volts, and another should be a ground wire while another should be for the oxygen sensor heater and the last should be for the oxygen signal to the ECM. Need to know what reading you get from those wires with the key on .
You might have to go back up the harness to get these colors .
Sometimes you just can't get the perfect answer and have to sort the info out and go from there.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Can you supply the colors of the wires you presently have on the sensor plug and the colors of the wires coming out of the wring harness?
Need to know what we are working with and maybe can get the correct connections .

Coming from the harness one of the wires should read 12 volts, and another should be a ground wire while another should be for the oxygen sensor heater and the last should be for the oxygen signal to the ECM. Need to know what reading you get from those wires with the key on .
You might have to go back up the harness to get these colors .
Sometimes you just can't get the perfect answer and have to sort the info out and go from there.
Thanx Hanky
I will try to look today at harness colors. Thankagiving and all but I remember new plug is just 2 black wires and 2 white ones.I will get u the rest of the info shortly..