Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 F150 5.4 3 valve Died and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Default 06 F150 5.4 3 valve Died and wont start

The other morning its 8 degrees outside I start my truck and it starts just fine. I let it run for about 10 minutes as I am headed home from work and am 1 minute away from the expressway. I get on the entrance ramp and the truck starts to shutter at 55mph. I try again to accelerate and it shutters again at 55 mph. This time the check engine light flashes at me. I try to accelerate again and it dies this time. I coast to the side of the road and it will not start. I replaced the battery on the side of the road thinking it was a low amperage issue....nope. Wont start. Which dummy me, cleared any codes. I have checked fuel pump fuse (not burned), Fuel pump is clicks fine when the key is turned on, the relay pops like it should when the key is turned on. It wont even think about trying to start or turnover. I removed the intake and sprayed starter fluid into the throddle body to no avail. Any suggestions? Sensors would just make it run like crap, but it would start........right?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM

I'm hoping I understand exactly what you are trying to tell us.
So we are on the same page, An engine will crank /turn over and still not start running.
Generally we use crank or turn over to mean the same thing. When it runs we usually say it fires up or runs. Because some folks use the terms to mean the same thing it can get confusing.
Does your vehicle's engine crank/turns over and will not start or will not crank/turn over or make any attempt to start?
If it cranks and will not fire up even with the use of a little starting fluid I would suspect it is not developing spark. The cycle requires a signal from the crank sensor to initiate the spark further up the system. A capable scan tool can provide certain info that you would have to check each and every component separately to determine if functioning. Some quick checks you could try would be to check all the fuses and confirm none are open. Certain ones provide power to systems related to starting so we check them all.
Could there be a clogged fuel filter full of ice? Did you just purchase fuel? Even if trying starting fluid , plugs wet with moisture will not ignite anything. I know I'm moving all over the place, but trying to lay some groundwork and eliminate some possibles too.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM

Yes, it is cranking, but not run.

I did just purchase fuel. It is currently parked in a semi-heated garage. I have a window unit that provide heat too, but its in a detached garage with no insulation. Its probably 50 or 60 in there.

I replaced the TPS thinking maybe it was that and it malfunctioned. Did not work.

What is that next step to test?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM

If not too difficult for you to do , try removing one of the spark plugs ,carefully, to see if the plug is wet or dry.If the plugs have not been replaced recently, you could get into trouble with the plug separating and we don't want to go there if we can avoid it.If that should be the case , until we check the fuel filter for water we are coming to a point where we need to do one or the other. If you have never changed the fuel filter, yourself, you may not have the tool required to remove the fuel lines from the filter. Was there some particular reason you suspected the TPS?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM

I have changed the plugs before. I guess about a year and a couple of months ago. I know the struggle with that. I had to purchase the removal tool, and even then I had to have 1 heli-coiled.

I have a fuel pressure tester and a spark plug tester i am going to try. I was also told that it could have been a timing issue which is why it shut down on the expressway and now wont start. Cam phasers or cam sensor maybe. Could be a bunch of stuff related.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM

If you removed one of the coils and used the spark tester that would confirm spark is present or not.The condition of the plug could provide some info to determine if too much water in fuel. Both phasers/chains would have to be involved to make it quit entirely. One would give all sorts of problems, but I believe it would run even if it was terrible ! The big question right now is spark or not. Then we could go from there.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If you removed one of the coils and used the spark tester that would confirm spark is present or not.The condition of the plug could provide some info to determine if too much water in fuel. Both phasers/chains would have to be involved to make it quit entirely. One would give all sorts of problems, but I believe it would run even if it was terrible ! The big question right now is spark or not. Then we could go from there.
I'm away from it now, but....my inertia switch is spongy as hell. Is depresses but does not click and/or stay down. I'm not sure if it's supposed to, but what I've read about other is that they do. I'm going to also try to jump it out to see if it starts. I'll then try the spark plug tester. If I have a good spark.....then? The 06 doesn't have a schrader valve to test fuel pressure that I can find.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM

I agree with you that the inertia switch should stay depressed when reset, but if the engine was starving for fuel you should have received some positive response when using a little starter fluid.
In any case you should hear the fuel pump run for the usual 2 seconds when you first turn the key on. A malfunctioning inertia switch can prevent this from happening. You can always use a test lite to confirm continuity or as you stated just jump it.
What about the spark?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:30 PM

No spark using a tester.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM

You might start with checking the crank sensor. Make sure the sensor wiring is not rubbing against anything where it could have become disconnected or cause for it's signal to be lost. There have been some problems with wiring from the sensor causing loss of the signal.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 5.4 3 valve Died and wont start