Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F150 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Smile 1988 F150 Starting Problems

Hi everyone, new here, and could use some help.

I have a 1988 Ford F150 two wheel drive pickup with a 302 V-8, fuel injected, and dual gas tanks.

The truck starts and runs fine, I drive it a will, turn off the engine, and when I try to re-start the engine, it will not start, cranks but will not start. After waiting about 15 or 20 minutes, the engine starts, and truck runs fine.

I changed the ignition control module and the pickup coil but the problem still there. The plugs, plug wires, and rotor cap are relatively new, changed them all last year, in Aug.

I also notice a strong gas smell when this happens. It has a relatively new fuel filter and I can hear the in-line fuel pump running when I turn the key on.

Any idea what this maybe? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM

I would get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up on the fuel rail and check the pressure and if it bleeds back off or not....could be the regulator

Old 04-22-2013, 04:36 PM

Did you change the ignition coil or the pick-up coil in the distributor?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM

I had one acting up like the fuel pump was going out....brand new fuel pump though....sometimes start, sometimes not, sometimes it would hoop going down the road, sometimes it didnt.....come to find out it was the distributor...changed the distributor and fixed it....just another idea

Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM

Sorry for the delay but been working on this truck problem.

I did take the ignition control module and the pickup coil off and had them tested at AutoZome. They told me the ignition control module was bad, so I replaced it. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem, I also replaced the pickup coil, it was rusted and they are cheep.

After that I tested the fuel pressure – hooked up the pressure gauge, turned the key-on, gauge climbed slowly to 4 psi. Turned key off, pressure bled off. Started the truck, pressure slowly climbed to 34 psi, held steady even when I raised the engine rpm’s. Turned off truck and pressure bled off slowly to 0.

Also pulled the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose off for 10 minutes when the truck was running to see if any fuel was leaking. No fuel leak from the fuel pressure regulator and got a slight change in the engine rpm’s when I pulled the vacuum hose off.

Question:

As you know, the primary fuel pump is under the driver's door on the frame rail. Is there any special tools I need to remove it?

Last edited by Kirkwa; 04-23-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM

There could be three reasons for the fuel pressure dropping like it does.
The first could be the check valve in the pump module in the tank.
The second could be a defective pressure regulator allowing the fuel to return to the tank, Clamp return line right after shutdown to confirm this.
The third possibility could be a leaking injector(s).

Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM

Update:

I took off the pressure regulator and fuel poured out, not good right? Is it safe to assume that this maybe the problem?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Keep in mind fuel does go through the pressure regulator so if there is fuel in it that would be normal.There should be no fuel in the vacuum line that goes to the top of the regulator. You need to clamp the return line to make sure the regulator is not allowing the fuel to go back to the tank when the engine is stopped.
If you know how to check for spark, do that when the engine refuses to start.
Make sure the inertia switch is making good contact.
The fuel pump relay could be a possible cause of the slow fuel pressure rise if it is starving the pump for power.

Last edited by hanky; 04-23-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM

The other day while I was contemplating why Hanky is so perfect, it hit me that the fuel pressure shouldn't bleed down in less then about 10 minuets on this truck.
However, since I'll never be more then a hack, Look at 'how' the fuel pressure builds up. You stated that the fuel pressure builds only to 4 psi, and if cycled, what does it do? Does it build slowly to 30 or so psi? The pressure should be over at least 35 psi within 2 seconds of key on, engine off. You can verifiy the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking but just disconnecting the return line from the reg. and turning the key on. If you see it comming out, there you go.
This sure seems like a fuel concern; one thing to keep in mind is just because the pump is new doesn't mean it's perfect.
However, I can offer one other idea. Check for spark when the hard start is evident (just disconnect the coil wire and crank it; should be a strong blue/yellow spark). Also, when the problem is evident, turn the key on but don't crank it. Do you hear the fuel pump cycle on for 2 seconds? You could also try whacking the fuel pump and EEC power relays (the brown is EEC power, green is fuel pump) and see if that helps.
Let us know. I'm sure Hanky will get it fixed.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Yes, If I just turn the key-on the presure very slowly builds to 4 psi, if I start the engine the pressure very slowly builds to 34 psi. In both cases when I turn the key-off the pressure bleeds off to 0. I will test the pressure regulator, per your suggestion today and let you guy's know what I find.

I'll check the spark as well, I do hear the fuel pump under the drives door come on when I turn the key, It's quite load.

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 Starting Problems