Just did this fix on my 2000 Explorer - thanks so much for the info! Thought I'd share some more images with the group. The first is my view of the bolts as I was working on this:
The space is very cramped, but it's accessible without taking anything apart. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs, and I managed to get in there (though I had to take a few breaks due to my shoulders and arms cramping up). You basically want your head at the brake pedal, looking up. Engaging the parking brake makes for a few extra crucial inches' clearance - and is a smart idea anyway should you put it into neutral!
Which brings up another good bit of information - putting the vehicle into neutral is VERY helpful! In park, the right/top bolt is mostly out of sight and much harder to reach. This position put the heads of the two bolts in a clear line, as seen above.
The second image is just a picture of the tools I used, for reference. The stubby little screwdriver was perfect for cranking them in, and I used the 3" extension on the ratchet to tighten them up at the end.
I'm sorry to say I've never even learned to do the little maintenance bits of work on my own vehicles. It's been a goal of mine to change that for a long time, and this tiny fix was my first step towards that. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction - she shifts like new again now!