Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2004 F-150 Transmission coolant lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Default 2004 F-150 Transmission coolant lines

I have 91K on my '04 F150 and noticed the tranny cooling lines are leaking at the flexible connections. A local tire/repair shop told me to be careful and replace the lines soon. I have done some research and this appears to be a something I could do myself. I enjoy working on the vehicle and am capable of minor maintenance. A friend has a drive-on lift and is more familiar with cars than I am. Can anyone offer if this cooling line replacement really is a simple task? Are any of the available resources better than others for researching this project? Thank you

Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM

cooler lines are easy to fix...if you have the tools...if you have quick-connect fittings on your unit....you need a special tool to remove the lines from the fittings to replace leaking fittings...

Where is it leaking? At the cooler line fittings on the side of the tranny? Did the metal lines rub somewhere and wear a hole in the line? Cooler line fittings on the radiator? To double check...get under the vehicle and have someone drop tranny into reverse and give it a little bit of gas with brake applied.....line pressure is greatest in reverse...Just dont get RAN OVER!! be carefull!!

You can easily cut the metal lines with a pipe cutter and use high temp (high pressure) aftermarket rubber cooler line to replace the metal tubing..get it at your local auto parts shop.....but two things to remember....

First...make sure to route the lines and attach them in a way where they are not rubbing against something....away from exhaust..fans....and away from areas where they may rub due to motor surge movement or the like.....

Second..you MUST flare the ends of the metal tubing where you cut them...or the rubber lines will simply blow off the metal tube when pressure gets high in the line...(usually when you drop it into reverse pulling out of the supermarket parking space.....a long way from home and without having tools to repair the leak!!!)

I have fixed dozens of cooler line leaks and installed aftermarket coolers...etc....its easy...just remember my recommendations above..

Good luck..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 AM

I noticed the leak on the flexible lines near the radiator. There are two, approx 12", rubber lines as part of the main metal lines. It is at the metal/rubber connection that the lines appear to be leaking. It is not enough to be noticeable on the garage floor but the rubber lines are covered with fluid. No metal lines are damaged as far as I have determined. I will perform the reverse-accelerator-don't get run over- test to be certain.

A local tire replacement store suggested that I would need to replace all the lines but it appears I could locate the leak and simply cut in a replacement line, or at least find the previous connection point and replace from there. I like the idea of having all metal lines with the quick connect fittings.

Thanks for the procedure. I'll update when I have completed the work.