Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2005 F150 King Ranch stuck in park!?!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Exclamation 2005 F150 King Ranch stuck in park!?!

We have a 2005 f150 king ranch v8 5.4L with center console shifting that will not shift out of park.

The truck was parked overnight, we moved the truck closer to the garage and put it in park. We changed rear brakes and the rotor on the right side. We get in the truck to move it again and the shifter will not move. Tried jacking the back up again and moving the tires a little (thought they may have moved slightly taking the lugs off.) Checked owners manual to find out that it may be brake lights or the #16 fuse that is for brake shift interlock. Checked both brake lights and the fuse and they were both working and good. Visually checked all fuses and a couple were bad, so we replaced them. The manual said that you can bypass the interlock by putting parking brake on, turn key off, remove key, remove center console cover, press and hold white button but the shifter still wouldn't move. I am wondering what I can do to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

I mentioned we just changed brakes because could have that caused this problem, OR perhaps it was just a coincidence that it happened right after we changed brakes?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Default Update to problem, new problem close to fix??

I may have been misleading because I think we were looking for a problem that wasn't there based on my searches for "stuck in park"(it may be early 04 problems). but cant believe anything would go bad changing brakes.

I think we may be close to a fix!?

Well we have tried everything we could think of and noticed the white button (that you can use to bypass) was moving up and down with the brake pedal so we figured the problem was in the shifter. Found a diagram (on fordf150.net/forums) of a similar style shifter but no parts descriptions
Name:  shifterschmatic.jpg
Views: 4997
Size:  129.7 KB
and instructions to remove the shifter to get to the actuator
2005 ford f150 won''t shift out of park. brake .... - JustAnswer
From there it was pretty much figuring out what does what. We realized that the actuator seems to be working properly. But we removed it and noticed there is a lever that raises up when the button on the **** is pushed which allows the shifter to change gears. We were able to pry that lever with a screwdriver and get it out of park but the button doesn't seem to be raising the lever enough. Also if we pry that lever the opposite way the **** on the handle pushes out slightly farther(possibly where it is supposed to be at all times but I haven't drove the truck enough to know)

My question is:
Instructions to further take the shifter/handle assembly apart?
Does anyone have a diagram of the shift ****/handle/shifter assembly? Anything that will help me take it apart and see if all of the pieces are there?
Is there possibly a spring that controls it that could be missing?
Does anyone know where I could find a replacement spring/part or would I need to buy a whole new assembly?If so where is a good place to get one?
Odds that the handle assembly would go bad right before/after we change brakes?

All suggestions/responses are much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Danny,
It sounds like the problem you wrote about here is exactly what I am experiencing now. We have a 2005 FX4. Son drove the truck to school and it was acting fine. In afternoon, he started it up and it won't move out of park. I have checked the fuses, checked the brake lights, tried the manual interlock release..they are all fine but it remains stuck in park. When I put the brake on, the interlock lever (the release) is moving up and down with brake actuation. I assume that nothing inside of it is broken and that it is working properly. When I push the button in on the shifter handle, I can hear the interlock solenoid clicking above the steering column. I see the same lever that the push button raises and I assume is suppose to let the shifter move. I question whether it is coming up high enough to fully release the handle.

Did you solve your problem?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Okay...here is feedback on my particular issue - maybe it will help someone in the future. My problem was strictly mechanical. As stated in the earlier post, I could see the interlock activator button moving up and down next to my shift lever when pushing and releasing the brake. The push button on the shift lever itself was working but was not pushing in far enough to raise the release tab that works in conjunction with the brake interlock mechanism. There is a pin in the shift lever push button that raises and lowers the final release tab. The cheap plastic retainer around the pin failed and released the pin. Thus, the system could not unlock even though all electronic inputs into the system were working just fine. I simply drilled a 1/8" hole through the push button and installed a longer pin that is a temporary fix to make things work. It got the beast moving again...

Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Default Same problem

I'm having the same problem you were. JDNTexas Did you ever figure out how to get to and repair the cheap plastic retainer?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM

I have a 2005 fx4 and have the same problem. It is a mechanical problem in the button that you press in to release the shift from park or to get it into park. The problem is I cannot figure out how to open up the shift column to get to that part. Can anyone describe what is holding it together?
cjbergeron