Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F150 Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM

There are a few on Ebay. A leather one also for about 80.00.

The dealer said they have done two before mine and all they need is the wheel with the switches as OEM.

Search for iterations of this:

F150 Steering Wheel Cruise Control 2009-2010 OEM

Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM

I just bought one yesterday 11/18/2010 for $50 total shipped off ebay. (wheel with buttons and harness, no airbag). If I can find a dealer to install and program for the $45 price some others have found, I'd be happy. Silly that Ford doesn't make it standard considering the cost of the buttons can't be $10, but it's all about marketing and product "differentiation" to justify a higher price. For $100 total I'm guessing on long trips I will save enough gas over a couple of years to breakeven.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Got the steering wheel in with the switches in-tack. The gorilla that took the air bag off broke the retainer at the 6 O'clock position so I switched my retaining plate with the one I received.
Three holes on the side of the steering wheel housing are used to release the airbag. Takes about a 3-4 inch tiny screwdriver to insert into each hole and press the spring release. The airbag pops out at each individual release. The plugs release easily. The star bolt requires some muscle (temp locktite is used). The dealer is programming it for me tomorrow. Takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Alrighty. Took the truck to the Ford Dealer. They programmed the PCM. All good....except that the on-switch when operated says "Not available". The crusie control shows as installed. The Set, resume and off buttons work. Unfortunately if the ON does not work....Anybody got an idea?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Default Dealer didn't test? Yikes!

Originally Posted by Jack2of3
Took the truck to the Ford Dealer. They programmed the PCM. All good....except that the on-switch when operated says "Not available
Hmmmm.... I got my replacement wheel this week and now waiting to schedule the install with the dealer. This is disconcerting, if they programmed it, you'd think it would be tested to work correctly.

Not a good thing. Let us know how it works out. Does the cruise control even work with this issue?

Last edited by butopia; 11-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM

The tech said all the switches are sending signals to the PCM, just the on-switch/button says it is Not available, so I would think the clock spring is functioning. What would make the PCM say that the "ON" in unavailable??? Does not find a "De-Feet" at the brake circuit??
So a synopisis.
1. Program loaded
2. All buttons are sending signals to the PCM
3. Off, Set, Resume are functional according to the PCM
4. On causes PCM to say not available.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Default pics of wiring harness on wheel

Originally Posted by rbrothers
I contacted the http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com 800-343-1382. They told me the connection uses the same plug as the airbag. It's an integrated plug. I am not all that sure how it comes, maybe the steering wheel they are selling has an airbag on it as well?

Here are two pics of the wiring harness on the wheel i bought on ebay. I talked to a ford dealer in Austin today and they said they had never heard of this being done, that they didn't think the servo would be installed on the truck. No servo, no cruise control. Said they would talk to their service guys. It is amaizing that there is almost no information on this on the web. I'm also going to call the cruisecontrolstore guys and try and get some confirmation from them on the servo being built into the PCM.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 F150 Cruise Control-wheel1.jpg   2010 F150 Cruise Control-wheel2.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Default Not OEM You don't get it.

Originally Posted by butopia
I talked to a ford dealer in Austin today and they said they had never heard of this being done, that they didn't think the servo would be installed on the truck. No servo, no cruise control. Said they would talk to their service guys. It is amaizing that there is almost no information on this on the web. I'm also going to call the cruisecontrolstore guys and try and get some confirmation from them on the servo being built into the PCM.
It's funny you say that. That was the reason I started this Forum was to gather the information and make it easier for others to do it, but you beat me to it. I have heard that if you didn't get it OEM with the truck, you can't have it... PERIOD. That is coming from many of the dealerships around here. As for the guys at www.cruisecontrolstore.com they are telling me that these service guys don't know what they are talking about. What they are referring to only applies to older vehicles and that everything is already installed in the vehicle to accept the application with the exception of the steering wheel with controls and the programed computer/PCM.

The guys at www.cruisecontrolstore.com guaranteed me it would work or they had no issue taking the steering wheel back which was why I originally went to them. They also will walk the technician/service tech through the install if they call.

Now after seeing what you are going through... I am wondering now, if going to www.cruisecontrolstore.com and paying them the money for that steering wheel is well worth it especially since they happen to be the only company that I can find that knows how to program the cruise control. I am a little confused though about your lighting situation. When you press the "On" button. I am curious if that actually is programmed correctly. I am thinking maybe www.cruisecontrolstore.com is the only place that one should go to. Now if only we can get that information on how to program the steering wheel and post it.

Do you think the buttons on the wheel you have is malfunctioning? You did say it was for a 2009 - 2010 F150 right? The color seemed a little off on it.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Default Truck Type

Jack20f3 and Butopia, what trucks do you have?

I have the 2010 F150 Supercrew XL. It has nothing extra on it. Base model with radio only. I have the smaller engine and my truck bed is the 5-6 ft truck bed.

My interior is a charcoal color a little darker than yours.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Default my truck

Originally Posted by rbrothers
Jack20f3 and Butopia, what trucks do you have?

Same. White 2010 XL Supercrew 4.6 2v 8cyl. came with am/fm radio (that I have replaced) has electric windows and doorlocks. I don't know if they make them without electric windows, but mine has them and I'm happy about that.

I did read something the other day about the servo being part of the PCM. Here's the reference, scroll down to see the comment.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148366

If this is true for our trucks, then the next question I would have is if the proper wiring to the brake pedal is in place and if we are missing anything. It makes sense that this could be the case since everything is by wire now (gas etc etc) so the same wires can connect to the PCM (the brain, i guess) and all that is missing is the physical CC switches to be properly programed.

Or then again, this could all be a wild goose chase! lol.

I will be very interested to hear what the cruisecontol guys say. If what I have is EXACTLY what they have for sale, then this should work. I'll post any additional info I find out. Hopefully the not available light is just incomplete programming or at worst plugging anothe piece in to the PCM.

A LATE EDIT- This sounds interesting/encouragnig. Have not read it completely but thought i'd pass it on to y'all

http://articles.d-tips.com/art8.html

And another encouraging reference

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read...,335194,335194

It may be that the programming job just was not done completely/correctly. Seem clear the PCM contains the "servo" stuff needed for cruise control and it is just a matter of adding the input devices (buttons) and properly programming. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by butopia; 11-30-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: add info, and more

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 Cruise Control