Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F150 Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Default Void your warranty?

Originally Posted by Jack2of3
Took the truck to another dealer. Their guy said I need an additional module. Not sure what that means.
I then called the PCM guys that sell PCM, ECUs etc. They said the dealer probably just loaded the program assigned to my VIN which would not have cruise control from the factory.
The word of caution is to insure programming the vehicle with a different VIN program does not void the warranty.
May just go aftermarket unless somebody knows what the !?!:<< is supposed to be done.
Send me a PM with your email and I will forward the instructions to you that worked on the 2009 F150 XL
That's not a warm thought to hear it may void your warranty when you flash it. I just purchased the 100,000 bumper to bumper extended warranty too.

From what I understand then, the 2009 F150 model may be missing a module, and or just need to be reprogramed differently while the 2010 F150 model may just need to be programmed differently. Let me check into the waranty information. I hadn't ordered the steering wheel yet.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Default Dealer number 4

I surrender! Yet another dealer has told me that the Base model does not come with cruise control as a programmable feature on the 2010 F150. They did say I could purchase a Body Control Module (BCM) with the option and then the PCM re-program will work.
My question is if the BCM is a computer isn't it programmable?

They did infer that some models of F150 without factory cruise have the necessary modules to accept the PCM programming.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Default plot thickens

Super info. I will take this to my dealer and see what they say. Curious why they would be so secretive about this. If all this is is a software issue, shouldnt be a big deal. Also, would seem that you could always go back and reflash to the original programming if need be.

This is the equivelent to teaching your truck to hold the gas pedal down, not modifying the hardware in anyway.

Certainly NOT the same as buying a chip to recalabrate the engine to run like is done with the desiels all the time. We're using nothing that isn't OEM. Even the programming is OEM.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Default Two Keys

Just in case the tech goes the route of flashing a different VIN on your vehicle take both of your keys with you. Something about needing 2 keys for a total reload.
I did speak with the cruise control store. They said all we need is the steering wheel. Sometime in mid 2011 he will post the step by step instructions to flash the PCM with an IDS scan tool (doesn't have one yet).

BTW. I asked the Ford parts person what is needed for my specific VIN to add cruise control. 10 minutes later he said I need a steering wheel with the switches. I asked if the steering wheel part was different from 09 to 10? Same part.

Meanwhile, I am traveling to Oklahoma in a few weeks and my 20 year old son said he'll take care of it for me. He frequents a shop where they have all the latest tech.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jack2of3
I am traveling to Oklahoma in a few weeks and my 20 year old son said he'll take care of it for me. He frequents a shop where they have all the latest tech.
Rock and roll. Let us know how it turns out. I assume you've been driving around with the cruise steering wheel on with no problems even though it doesn't work, right?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Default steering wheel

Yep. Wheel with switches is installed. No problems aside from the cruise not working.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Oklahoma tech said the issue is the dealers tech just re-flashed the unit with the code that was delivered based on the VIN. Said in order for me to get cruise working I need the code from a F-150 VIN with cruise control. Caution: Also need the corresponding BCM ID to download the VIN. Make sure the BCM is for the same engine, transmission etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Default But still not working?

I'm willing to give the same guy you get to make this work my business to program. Let me know when it works and I'll drive to wherever needed. You'd think there is a manual somewhere that has a master list of all the necessary codes. Thanks FoMoCo for making this so simple.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 AM

Still not working. Monday the 24th there are supposed to be FMC "experts" at the dealer to talk about the new "Eco Boost" AKA Turbo F-150, and people are supposed to get to test drive it. Maybe I'll meet someone there that has an answer.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Default The powers that be are against me!

I got called out of town so I was unable to attend the F150 event. Spoke with Mike at the cruise control store. He told me he just programmed Two 2010 F150's this AM for dealers.

My suggestion is that you go for it. $45.00 bucks to at least know.

If you are near me I will trade you my wheel with cruise for your wheel without cruise. Mine is the dark tan color.

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 Cruise Control