Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Default 2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors

I have been eyeballing my father's F150 XLT mirrors for about a year now and one thing I wish that I had were those awesome directional signals just below the mirrors. I decided to price check the parts. The portion below the mirror costs around $49 each. The amber reflectors on the back side of the mirror are around $22. Recon makes a set that are LED with reflectors for the back side of the mirror for around $80-$109.

I found a youtube video
of someone modifying their reflectors and taping into their wiring to make the reflectors work like the leds below the mirror. As a matter of fact, I just did this modification to my father's truck after showing him how nice they look. It was really easy to do. However, on my 2010 F150 XL, I do not have the reflectors or wiring for the signals in my mirrors. My mirrors are fitted with blanks. I decided to purchase some cutable/trimable LEDs from my local AutoZone (photo attached) and order a set off of ebay Side Mirror LED Turn Signal AMBER ORANGE Indicator Lights k1 | eBay.

I am planning on drilling holes in the blanks to allow the longer leds to shine through the opening. The effect will still give it a factory look until the lights come on. It is somewhat similar to the video, but I am keeping them hidding behind the blank. The smaller ones I will mount over the blanks below the mirror. You will most likely see these when you come up on the truck but I don't believe it will be an eyesore.

From what I have been reading, the wiring harness for the signals are located in the drivers side and passenger sides kick panel area. The drivers side is a green with white stripe wire. You will have to cut the covering on the wiring about 4" - 6". When you turn the ignition key on and probe the wire then activate the turn signal it should fluctuate in volts. The passenger side wire is a White with blue stripe wire. This may vary on your year make and model so be sure to test them before you make the cuts.

Remove both ends of the rubber from the door frame and vehicle. Route the wires down inside the door frame and out the hole vacated by the removal of the rubber boot. do not let the wiring go inside the window track. Continue routing the wire through the rubber boot and into the vehicle. Gently pull on the wire to eliminate and slack. cut and split the wire. Routh the ground wire to a grounding location on the truck with a grounding ring.

I will post an update before, then with the installation process, and finally after the finished work has been done. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it and it helps do your install.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors-led-1-.jpg   2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors-led-2-.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Smile 2010 F150 Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors

I have heard many people say that the wire harness for the XL should contain all wires, but I am finding that not to be true in my case. I had to run my own wires to get this to work. In this video I am running a small wire through the molex connector to get the signal connection into the door.

I remove the mirrors and run my wires through the mirrors.

I set my light over the OEM location and remove the back of the mirror housing to add a secondary light that can be seen from the front when they are in use. I conceal them under the plastic bezel and drill a line of holes so the light can be seen.

I test the lights out using a battery.

After the test, I take the ground wire and solder an eyelet onto the end. I will use this to bolt to the door for a ground.

I install the mirror back onto the truck and place the ground on one of the bolts for the mirror.

I take the positive wire and attach it to the wire running through the molex.

I attached the other end of the wire that was ran through the molex and solder them to the wires on the passenger side kick panel.

The right side is soldered to yellow/purple or purple/orange
The left side is soldered to blue/green or gray/brown

I test the lights out. They work...

I put it all back together and take a drive to see how they look.

During my drive I noticed the lights I added also light up when you brake... I am trying to figure out this one. I think there is a diode or capacitor that I have to put on the lines. Anyone have an idea? At night they can be a bit overwhelming and bright... As in, if I am backing up at night, it sucks because I can't see my mirrors.

UPDATE:
I ended up taping into the front left and right directional signals under the hood. I could not seem to locate the correct wire in the kick panel. I even found numerous wire diagrams that showed the other wires I listed above. I believe this may be a result of my vehicle not being prepped at the factory with the proper wires. I have heard of some vehicles with and without the wires installed at the factory which has made the modifications easier and tedious.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors-20140419_154810.jpg   2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors-20140419_160909.jpg   2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors-20140421_101639.jpg   2010 F150 XL Custom Directional Signal Installation in Mirrors-20140421_101653.jpg  

Last edited by rbrothers; 03-21-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Wiring Update