Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2010 Remote Start Noob question

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Default 2010 Remote Start Noob question

I am looking at adding either a Python 4103P or an Avital 4103LXL remote start system to my 2010 F150 FX4 screw. I am not interested in any type of alarm system just the remote start. The more I read the more confused I become as to what exactly I need to purchase. But from the best I can tell I also need 8L3z19g365ba Kit - Pats Interface Oem Ford. So I am looking for some help. Please tell me what parts I need to purchase so I will have all the parts needed at the time of install? Also, which of the two above systems is the better system or can you recommend a system?
Now the really stupid question, what is the difference between remote start with keyless and one that doesn't mention anything about keyless?

Thank you

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Fords base remote start would be a one botton Start/Stop system. They also offer a bi-diectional RSS that returns a start notification with a light and beep tone. I've had to check mine ('look' for park lamps/mirror lamps to come on) many times since we leave our dogs in the truck often. Wish they had offered the bi-directional when I installed mine. The Ford systems will start/stop the truck though concrete and at a good distance. I've been in Home Depot at the 'back' of the store and started my truck when it was all the way accross the parking lot. The RSS with keyless entry and security gives you the option of a perimeter alarm, and door lock/unlock function with a single fob..

I don't have any real experience with aftermarket RSS's, but the OEM are plug'n play for the most part with just a 'Y' harness connector at the ignition and relatively simple to install the trigger harware like hood switch ect. They are more expensive, but they work very well. The PATS interface kit would be needed, and not too bad either to install..

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-06-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Remote start is a great feature to any car but there is a downside to it.
After a couple of years any alarm or after market keyless entry it will mess up. And u will have so many problems.
I work selling factory remotes for ford and many other brands and so many people call us asking if we do those remotes. we only sell factory remotes and the only thing we offer is to take off the alarm. Usually that is what the customer wants, to get rid of the alarm.
But its your truck and im just letting you know abot my experience.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM

I am stuck! The original owner of our F-250 1999 7.3 bought a ford alarm, so its aftermarket but NOT whoever ( we bought it one owner used) wired this stupid alarm in, wired into EVERYTHING Mechanics cannot find how to get rid of the alarm my question: Can the keyless entry FOB help us???
thanks going nuts here

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM

Here is an update on our electrical problem with our F-250 1999 7.3. SO the mechanic calls and says we have found a VALET SWITCH whaaaatttt???? I say, yup it is located almost in front of the hood handle to open the hood its a little reset button AND we also replaced both batteries in our key fobs...... the alarm which was outfitted for the ENTIRE truck by previous owner must have added it? Not sure but for now I think it is fixed. It seems that this valet switch was searching (drawing power from our brand new batteries under the hood) and draining the truck?! SO I think we got it if not I will be back......Hope this can help someone else