Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

1984 ford f-150 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Default 1984 ford f-150 electrical problem

It all started when I left my low beams on one day when I went to work during a foggy day. I got in my truck and realized I left them on and turned them off and my only concern was if that killed my battery and I wasn't going to get home anytime soon. Luckily it didn't and I was able to head home and about half way home I looked over at my battery gauge and instead of it being in it's normal place in the center it was at the 3/4 mark between normal and charge I thought this was really weird and about 4 minutes later my truck completely died, I pulled over tried to start it back up and got nothing so I got out and moved my battery around a bit because it's given me similar problems before were it would do this but never when I would be driving and it would randomly cut off it would just happen randomly when it would be parked and I would go to start and I would get nothing and this happened maybe 3 times and they were several months apart. It started after I moved the battery and I checked the battery gauge and it was maxed out I was maybe 3 minutes away from my house in the middle of nowhere, so I made my way home and called one of my friends who worked at a mechanic shop locally and he came by the next morning to check it out. The person who had this truck before me installed a breaker onto one of the wire leading to the started solenoid just in case something like this happened and that was what was killing my truck. My friend unplugged the voltage regulator we started up my truck and the gauge went back to normal, and no more dying after running for a few minutes. we went to autozone and got a new one and installed it but the problem came back and this time there were a few weird things that came with it. I gassing on the truck to see if it would die it didn't. my friend had the passenger side door open and you could see the cab lights on and they started to flicker getting brighter and darker and the gauge was going from normal to maxed out and everywhere in between the two and I had bought a new battery by this time I was overdue for a new one anyway. By this time I had exhausted my friends knowledge on anything like this so he gave up and said it was fixed even with the issues I listed. I rode my truck to work after the weekend was over and it gave me no problem but the gauge was still at the 3/4 mark. I talked to my friend again about this and he keeps trying to tell me this crap about how since it a new regulator and a new battery it wont act like the old one ( so it wont be normal) and it wont hurt anything, I may not know much about the electrical side of vehicles but I can tell when something is wrong. Also I recently changed the starter solenoid because it literally broke apart but that was 2 weeks before this happened. Any ideas of what in earth this could be

Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 AM

I don't know the condition of your vehicle, but if by any chance the location of where the voltage regulator is mounted happens to be on the inner right side fender then the regulator is using the inner fender for it's ground. You might run another ground wire from the battery to the regulator mounting and it would eliminate that possibility.
A belt that is not tight enough can drive you nuts. Make sure the belt that drives the alternator is tight & not too tight.
You might also check the plug that plugs into the alternator to make sure it is making a good connection, they did have problems with them.