Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 f150 302 5 speed poor accler. performance and rough between shifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Default 95 f150 302 5 speed poor accler. performance and rough between shifts

Srry for vocab. and terms. i know very lil and just need a place to look and start to trouble shoot. any advice will be helpful trust me!
The truck lost the power and acceleration is once had. If i give it too much gas sometimes, i believe back fires( the hoses had been pushed off the throttle body). Between shifts seems like it goes rough into gear(smooth with the clutch and tranny though) but with the mechanics advice i think it was something to do with maybe the head gasket or the head themselves.( maybe thats why poor performance, loosing combustion) when going a comstant speed say 45 and leting off the gas, seems to sound and feel like the truck down shifts which cannt be possible with out manual doign that myself???? correct??? then as soon as that happens say to step on the gas again. the truck shacks like i droped the clutch... or feels like it had been shifted to into too high of gear when i phsycally did not do either.
I started out this summer giving the truck a tune up.... plugs,wires, distributor, and cap. IAC,EGR,OX2, and throttle postiion sensor all myself (no prev exp just like workign with my hands and learning how it works) in the process i fixed some problems but i believed i created or magnifided i problem i already had. this truck is a 95 f150, 302 motor 5 speed transmission. i thought recently my problem was with tranny, but i had that checked and the clutch replaced at the same time the mechanic told me the tranny is ok, but recommends i take it to someone who has more knowlegde with motors.
Advice anyone???? would really help?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Did you change the fuel filter yet? According to your post do I understand you correctly that you replaced the distributor? It sounds like it could be 1 tooth off when you replaced the distributor if that's what you did. We'll take them one at a time and maybe can be of some help.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 PM

yes i did change the filter. i am unsure if i put the distributor in correctly... i think its designed to go in only one way which is the right way though... but unsure maybe i could try that. another tip i had today is timing maybe be off since i did put the plug wires in wrong at one time and ran the engine a breif time. thanks for the hints

Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 PM

yes i did change the filter. i am unsure if i put the distributor in correctly... i think its designed to go in only one way which is the right way though... but unsure maybe i could try that. another tip i had today is timing maybe be off since i did put the plug wires in wrong at one time and ran the engine a breif time. thanks for the hints

Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 AM

It would be a wise move for you to invest in a manual to assist you with some basic procedures. If you are not sure of the correct spark plug wire placement, most stock intake manifolds have the correct firing order cast onto them along with the cylinder numbers. If you can locate that info and follow that, a few short, but, important procedures incorporating that info and you can get it right. For first timers putting a distributor back in correctly seems complicated, it's more than just taking it out and putting it back in , but with the right info you can do it. A good policy to use anytime you remove a distributor is to first get the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley lined up at "0" degrees , or TDC , top dead center. Then when you reinstall it you can get the rotor in the right place. You also need to know which direction the rotor goes (clockwise-counterclockwise) so the spark plug wiring goes in the correct direction. Merry Christmas !

Last edited by hanky; 12-25-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: addl info